Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Modelling Hardware - Threaded Geometry

peter6.edwards

Hi guys, hope you can help!

My company are undertaking modelling standard hardwares (in house - we have a design team in India who'll be doing the work). My boss wants to model the threaded geometry on bolts etc., obviously Pro Engineer has the ability to create cosmetic features so that hardware is correctly represented on 2D drawings.

My question is: Is it possible to have a bolt modelled in 3D with threaded geometry but have the bolt appear on the 2D drawing with the cosmetic thread (I want to avoid display the '3D threaded geometry')?

The only way I can think of is to use simplified reps but this seems like a lot of hard work, TBH if it was down to me I would probably just use the cosmetic thread! Anyway, any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks for you time,

Peter

Modeling screw threads just for the sake of pretty pictures for the boss is ridiculous. How pointy is his hair?

Yes you can do it but it adds a ton of overhead. Helical sweeps are some of the biggest CPU wasters out there.

The PTC fastener library does not even put the cosmetic threads on the fasteners which they should have. PTC really should update the library. However, it does show how you can have family tables of parts so you can quickly and easily swap out fasteners if you want a longer one or a different head, etc.

I think there are some other commercial libraries of fasteners available. Would be cheaper than creating from scratch even in India unless you have a lot of custom fasteners.

Spend your bosses money on determining a naming convention and making these library parts.
I concur with the good Doctor's position not to model threads !

Keep it simple.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back