Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Modelling a Door Handle

jvidal

Hello all,

I need to model a door handle and I'm having a few doubts on which path to take, because its section is not constant, but it varies with the model's length.

If anyone could enlight me on how to proceed - or even model something similar - I would really appreciate it.

I attach a few images to clarify what I'm looking for (the dimensions are not important; this is only an example of a door handle I found online similar to what I want).

hi,

first create the 3 dtm planes, create 3 sketches(circles) on these dtm
planes, thn join these 3 circles by 3 skteches- one on semicircle end,
one on semicircle start, last on midpoint of semicircle. These curves
must coincide 3 semicircles, thn create a boundary surface and mirror
the surface, merge it close the ends by fill option & solidify it.

Regards,

smiley1.gif

jsantangelo said:
Swept Blend, Boundary Blend or Variable Section Sweep driven by a graph are good places to start.

Yes, you will have an easier control over the variable sweep section. Use an ellipse as the section, then use graph to drive the lengths of the ellipse.

-Simon

Hi guys,

Thanks for your answers!

How can I relate my graphs with the ellipse's dimensions?

Thanks again.

Best regards!
JVidal

you relate it by defining a relation in your VSS (have you heard about "evalgraph", if so , set it to look at your dimension and drivethe dimby the graphvalue) . Use trajpar as well...

Upload the model when your done!

//Tobias

Edited by: tobbo

Tobias,

Thanks for your reply.
I defined my relation but the geometry remains constant and does not vary with the trajectory.

I did the following:
1. Create graph:
- Sketch
- sketch 2 centerlines
- created CSYS
- created the graph
2. New Sketch > Created trajectory
3. VSS:
- selected previously drawn traj
- defined VSS section
- OK
4. Tools > Relations:
- d22=evalgraph("graph", trajpar)

What did I do wrong?

Thanks again!

Best regards!
JVidal!

jvidal can you post the part?

I was wondering... how about modeling the handle "straight" then bending it using spinal bend?

Hi zpaolo,

I don't have the part. I was trying to understand how to work with evalgraphs first.

Never used spinal bend. How much flexibility can you achieve using it? I'll have some variations of this part and would like to have diferent versions of it. Maybe a family table or something like that (haven't thought about it much, yet).

Thanks.

Best regards!
JVidal
Edited by: jvidal

Hi Simon!

My WF5 crashes when previewing your part. It doesn't even has time to open it.

Thanks anyway.

Best regards!
JVidal

jvidal said:
Hi zpaolo,

Never used spinal bend. How much flexibility can you achieve using it? I'll have some variations of this part and would like to have diferent versions of it. Maybe a family table or something like that (haven't thought about it much, yet).

With spinal bend you model the handle as if it was straight, then draw a sketch of how you want it to be bent (you can draw only the 90

jsantangelo... I took your VSS model and made it a smooth end by modifying the graph feature sketch. I took your horizontal handle (in the graph sketch) and turned it vertical instead and aligned it to the x axis.

We were just talking about graph features to drive VSS function in my class today and showed everyone this thread.coincidental
Edited by: design-engine

I post a picture and the zip file after class. We took a 2 hour lunch to go up in the sears tower... best place to view the lightning today is looking out of sears tower or at the sears tower.We will have to work late today to make up for the time....

design-engine said:
I took your VSS model and made it a smooth end by modifying the graph feature sketch. I took your horizontal handle (in the graph sketch) and turned it vertical instead and aligned it to the x axis.

That is bad a$$. I forgot you can drive a dimension to zero in graph driven VSS.
smiley32.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back