Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

mirroring geometry in sheetmetal

cloughna

Up until today my sheetmetal parts have been straightforward. Now i've got something a little more complex. I have half of it designed (it is a symmetric part) and just want to mirror it over and be done. Unfortunately it appears that I can't.

What i've tried:

1. I've tried mirroring all the geometry, but the mirror button is greyed out unless i select a feature
  2. When I mirror a feature it loses alot of references and is more trouble than its worth.
  3. I've copied all solid surfaces, mirrored the surface copy feature, and tried to solidify. Unfortunately, this method results in the solidify feature only being able to remove material, not add.
If anyone has any solutions, thoughts, or mildly related musings, I would be pumped to hear from you

if bend/unbend is not an issue with you. then you can chage it to stadard part. to the mirror and agaion change back to sheetmetal part.

Thanks for the quick responses.

For this particular project I've decided to build half of it as a surface, mirror the surface, then thicken. Then convert to sheetmetal to do my reliefs.

sanjeekvar: I'm not super familiar with sheetmetal and seem to be having little success when trying to anything beyond a simple bend/unbend

dr_gallup: I take t you mean to mirror the part itself, and then merge the two parts into one... i think that would work.

Thanks to both of you

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back