Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

mirror parts & family table in asm

s_pme20

Hi all,
Its difficult to explain this for me..but i will try my best:
I have to make asm A_G.asm with instances A1.asm, A2.asm & A3.asm.
It has one part B_G.prt with instances B1.prt, B2.prt & B3.prt used respectively.
second part in asm is mirror part of part B_G_mirr.prt with instances B1_mirr.prt, B2_mirr.prt & B3_mirr.prt used respectively.

Question: how to produce mirror part which is linked to original part and have family table instances like original part.

I am using WF-4 M150

The best way to do this is to create a seperate assembly family table with the mirrored parts.

In order to add them to the same family table, you would have to insert a new instance of the mirrored part and suppress the original part. This will work as well.

You can create a family table of the mirrored part if B_G.prt as well, simply adding the reference instance to the family table.

Thanx for reply Scott,
Actually mirrored parts are used within single asm.

By the way, i managed to have one generic with all instances (non-mirror & mirror).

Bad thing is, when i use mirror feature in part, it keeps both halfs (there should be some option to keep only mirrored portion).So, i have used extrude cut after mirror to get only mirrored portion.

mirror1 & extrude4 are used only for mirrored instances of fam. table:

View attachment 5365

This isn't really the best way to do this and will most likely create issues down the road. Not to mention, when you show/erase dimensions in the drawing, you will get a lot of dimensions that don't make sense.

I suggest mirroring the part, not the features. Then, you can create an interchange assembly to associate features used as references in the instances of the assembly. This will allow you to use the mirrored parts in the assembly family table.

Hi Scott,

That mirror is part mirror only....i have selected part on tree, while creating mirror..
Can you explain bit more about ur way?

Open the part and go to File, Mirror Part. Select the desired options and file name of the new part.

If you Select Mirror Geometry only and Geometry dependant, It will maintain the relationship with the original part.

If the original part has a family table, you can have a family table of the mirrored part that references the appropreate reference part in the original parts family table.

If you don't need to swap them in the assembly with each other, then it's no problem. Nothing else needs to be done.

If the original part and the mirrored part have to be swapped with each other in an assemblyfamily table, an interchange assembly will be required to associate the references. Then they can easily be swapped out in the family table.

Thanks a lot Scott,
U should have suggested before.!! I have created/checked-in many parts with method I shown.
By the way it will be very useful for me in future..
smiley1.gif

Edited by: s_pme20

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back