Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Mirror a part AND its drawing ?

EddyVE

Hi all,

I know how to create a mirrored part of a part (create a left handed part out of a right handed part).

--> create a (dummy) assembly containing the first part, then 'create part', 'mirror', etc.

But what I would really like is that, when the first part has a
drawing, that the mirrored part would also have a drawing created
automatically.

The same principle as when you 'Save as' a part with a drawing. The new part will also have a drawing.

Can this be done with mirroring too?

I have WildFire 1.0

Kind regards

Eddy

Edited by: EddyVE

How to mirror a RH part model that has an associated drawing (both in a WS) to get the LH model and drawing in the same WS.<?:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p>
(NOTE: This does not apply to assembly models at this time)
1. Using the New Asm icon, create a dummy assembly model, accepting the default name of asm0001.asm. Click on the Resume to continue.<O:p> </O:p><O:p></O:p>
<?:NAMESPACE PREFIX = V /></V:STROKE></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:ULAS></V:pATH><O:LOCK v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"></O:LOCK></V:SHAPE></V:IMAGE></V:SHAPE>
how_to1.jpg
<O:p></O:p><O:p></O:p>
2. Assemble the RH part model using the default location icon in the Component Placement dialog box.<O:p> </O:p>
</V:IMAGE></V:SHAPE>
how_to2.jpg
<O:p></O:p>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
</V:IMAGE></V:SHAPE>
how_to3.jpg
<O:p> </O:p></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE>
3.From the Assembly menu, go Component > Create > Part > Mirror and name the new part you will be creating

Brad (Hacks),

I will have to try this step by step ( I am not on my Pro/E pc right
now) and the screen shots in your reply are not showing here in my
browser window.

Thanks very much for your extensive answer and for your time !!
smiley20.gif

Kind regards

Eddy

PS. Thanks for going easy on my eyes ...
smiley36.gif
smiley2.gif

The pictures in Brads (Hacks') reply are not showing in my browser (not in IE and not in FireFox).
Can anybody see the pictures?

Kind regards
Eddy

Same here, using IE the images are not showing up.

I think I could understand and get the job done without the images, but would still like to see them hehe.

Good work Hacks !!
Edited by: [-Skint-]

Brad,

I tried your trick with a part that had a fairly complicated drawing (multiple broken views, detailed views,..) and it worked really well !

I had to clean up the broken views (move the ref points) and redefine the detailed view ref point, but all in all this method is a real time saver.

Thanks a lot for your help !!

Kind regards
Eddy

Tried it and it works well. Thanks for the trick! Small note:

Step 9 requiresyou to set the config option "rename_drawings_with_object"

Can someone please tell me what "WS" stands for, what "Export to disk with relationship types set to Required", and what"Open up this drawing and part model in an unlinked session of Pro" means. I am new to ProEand often make mirror image drawings. Thank you

Creech,

- WS stands for Work Session.
- I think the "Export to disk .." thing only matters when you are also using IntraLink. I didn't see that option anywere in my case (I don't have IntraLink).
- The unlinked session means that you have to start a second instance of your Pro/E, instead of opening the part/drawing in the Pro/Ethat is already running. So you have to start Pro/E 2 times. Also the second Pro/E must not be connected to IntraLink if you use that.

Maybe someone else may correct me ...

Kind regards
Eddy

Hi Eddy,

When I try to start a second session of proE it tells me that my licences is in use. How do you start this unlinked session?

Sip

Sip,

Do you have a 'floating license' , using the FlexLM License manager?
In that case, you probably have only one purchased license or all of the available (purchased) licenses are in use by you and your colleagues.
If you (or your company) have more than one license, ask one of your collegues to close his Pro/E session. That way his license becomes free and you can open another Pro/E session with 'his' license.

If you have only one license purchased, I think the only way you can open a second Pro/E session is if you have installed Pro/E with a 'locked license'. In that case your license is stored as a file on your harddisk and you are not using the FlexLM License Manager.

Kind regards
Eddy

Thanks, Eddy, I get it.

No possibility for me then, as I only have one floating license.

When I worked for an employer I used to be able to do this. I should have remembered. I used it for when I got proe thinking for a while. Sometimes a save would take 20 minutes or longer. I'd start another session and start some other part.

Thanks,

Sip

Sip,

Maybe you can achieve the same by closing the first Pro/E, re-starting it (or do a 'Erase / Not displayed'). Do a 'Save As' of the original part and its drawing (drawing is saved automatically) in a temp directory, using the name of the mirrored part.
Close and restart (or'Erase / Not displayed').
Copy the drawing (not the part!) from temp directory to your working directory (where the mirrored part is stored), then open the drawing and the mirrored part.

I haven't tried this but I think it should work.

Eddy

Here is a schematic of the 'trick', using only one active Pro/E session:

You have part 'LH.prt' and its drawing 'LH.drw'.

You want to end up with a mirrored part 'RH.prt' and its drawing 'RH.drw'.

Do a 'Save As' of 'LH.prt' under the new name 'RH.prt' to a temp directory that is NOT listed in your search.pro.

Note that you must have set the config option "rename_drawings_with_object" as Caddie mentioned.

So now you have:

- In your normal working directory: 'LH.prt' and its drawing 'LH.drw'
- In the temp directory: 'RH.prt' and its drawing 'RH.drw'. But both files are still equal to 'LH.prt' and 'LH.drw'.

Erase 'RH.prt' from the temp directory.

Close Pro/E and restart it (or do a 'Erase / Not displayed'). Go to your normal working directory.

Mirror 'LH.prt' as you normally would, to create 'RH.prt'.

So now you have:
- In your normal working directory: 'LH.prt', its drawing 'LH.drw' and 'RH.prt'
- In the temp directory: 'RH.drw'.

Copy 'RH.drw' to your working directory.

Open 'RH.drw'. It should now show the mirrored part 'RH'.

You might have to fix some broken views and rearrange some dimensions, but a lot of work will be saved.

Kind regards
Eddy

In Wildfire 3 there is a command under the file menu, "Mirror Part" that does the same thing as the dummy assembly trick, but is a lot easier, fewer steps, and no chance of accidentally linking to the temporary assembly. You should be able to substitute the assembly mirroring steps with this and still get the copy of the drawing to reference the mirror.

FILE > MIRROR PART

I haven't tried it myself.... yet.

smiley1.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back