Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Mill Volumes

boydt

Is it possible to leave stock on a surface when using a Mill Volume.

I have a housing that I am making a process plan on and need to leave stock for later operations..... Can this be done with a Mill Volume?

There are 2 parameters within the "volume" milling NC sequrnce. They are Profile_stock_allow and Z_stock_allow. These control how much stock to leave on the part while creating the cutter path.

If you need to create a process drawing that reflects this, Create the finish surfaces first, as merged surfaces only. Then create offset surfaces from the finish surfaces and merge them together. Put the finish surfaces on a layer so you can turn them off in the drawing. Then solidfy the offset surfaces as a cut. This creates this operation as processed. In a later operation, solidfy the original surfaces as a cut to show the finished part.

You can also use 'Material Remove' form the machining option menu. This will remove the material you machined out with your volume mill sequence. It will take in consideration your roughstock allowance, bottom stock allowance. Material removal can be done automatic or you can sketch as well. Material removal works for surfacing, trajectory as well.

Hope this helps

Tony

Material removal is another good way to achieve the tape code, but take into consideration, that doing a material removal in manufacturing will not show up in the part drawing.

That is true for individual parts/workpiece drawings.

Typically I generate drawings from the mfg-assy and in that case it does show the material removal. You can hide the part and only show the workpiece when you generate drawings.

It is a good way of showingstep by step of sequences in the pro-mfg process.

I used the "offset" feature from within the "mill volume" Worked well, now that I know it's there.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back