Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Mill Volumes and Features

So, let's say i had a circular hole with a flat bottom, like a small coffee can shape. Can I offset the walls as well as the bottom of the pocket "inward" so all the detail will have extra stock? This way I can finish the rest of the part with one tool and my "coffee can" can be completely finished with smaller/different tool...?

I realizet that this example is not the best due to the idea that if an area can be finised with the first tool, it probably should be. But for the sake of argument, do you think the above example is possible? It would seem to me, without trying it, that the offset would fail because the bottom flat of the "can" would not intersect properly with the wall offset. (Just guessing here... :)

I never tried that, it should work. But if it doesn't, you could "cut" from the mill volume by doing a "extrude", "revolve", etc. to reduce the size of the "can".

Good idea... that would make sense.

I suppose, though, if I wanted to go back and use that same volume again, I would have to make a copy of it... one that has the offset and the other that doesn't. Not sure how it would all work out yet, but the implications seem pretty good!

Thanks for your help!

We Pro-E users need it... lol.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back