Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Migrating from Intralink 3.4 to Windchill

bikerdude

Hola,

We're probably going to be moving buildings in the next 6 months and IT want to replace our server in the process. We're probably going to go to Win server 2008 which (I believe) isn't compatible with Intralink 3.4 M020. So, we're looking into migrating over to Windchill. We're going to get PTC to come in and demonstrate it but is there anything I should be aware of, any issues/problems versions to avoid etc, etc.

Thanks guys,
Leo

Edited by: bikerdude

If you are used to Intralink and you switch to Windchill, look out. There are so much more things in Windchill. We as designers complain that it has way more functions than we need. I wish there wasa "Windchill Light" that eliminates many of the functions and would make it as simple as intralink. I understand the concept, however, windchill is for an "enterprise wide" useage so it has to have more functions (for other departments useage). But I still wish there was a Windchill Light that made it a bit simpler.

What Windchill app do you have?

Windchill by itself is just a toolkit for developing applications. Intralink 8+ and PDMLink 7+ are applicatiopnswith different functionality built on the Windchill foundation.

The question you need to ask is how much workflow do you need captured? Simpla CAD vaulting or art to part to grave tracking? Once you answer that, then you can choose Intralink or PDMLink as your solution.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back