Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Mecanica FEA Setup

DefCon5

Hello, We have a user who wants to know:
<DIV id=post_message_641>I am a student and new to running and setting up an FEA. What are the basic information items I need to setup a new material. Also, If I run an FEA on a heat treat part, what properties would I change to reflect this heat treat. Example, if I use sae 1050 material that is austempered, I know the yield strength is about 192kpsi and tensile 204kpsi. Does this affect the outcome?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks in advance!</DIV>

Mechanicadoes not need to know thestrength of the materialto perform an analysis, only modulus. You will evaluate the strength of the component after Mechanica completes the analysis.

As headrush says, you don't need any strength parameters in mechanica. It will calculate stress and dispalcement based upon the applied load and the modulus of the material. Simply stated, you'll then determine if the stress is too high based upon the FEAcalcualted stresses and the actual material strengths. Be careful with any FEA program asit's fairly easy to get pretty pictures that are in reality useless b/c the constraints and/or loads don't represent the real world conditions.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back