Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

MDT to Wildfire

afrolick

<DIV>Hey guy's and gals,</DIV>
<DIV>I've procured a contract position at xyz Tool Company doing Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire. I've been tasked with doing a feasibility study of the ability to convert step or iges files to Pro from Mechanical Desktop. I've been able to convert them but many of the editing qualitiesappear to belost. I've also begun to look into Data Doctor but I only have a till next Wednesday to make a recommendation. </DIV>
<DIV>I have about 1,500 hours but I'm far from being a Pro Expert. So I thought "Hey why not ask some of the most intelligent people I know?" So that's what I'm doing. If anyone can give me intelligent feedback or point me in the right direction to make an informed decision about how to proceed I would be eternally grateful.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thank you in advancefor your time,</DIV>
<DIV> afrolick</DIV>
Edited by: afrolick

Have you try TransMagic? I heard this software converts any CAD file under the sun. If this cater to your need, checkit out.

Good luck,

Hoang

AFAIK there is no absolute feature translation. The most I've seen is that a hole is recognised as such, likewise chamfers, rounds, drafts. But capturing and translating design intent is much more complex.

Direct editing would be my first choice but the best presentation in that regard that I have seen was with Solid Designer, so that won't help you.

Alex

Afrolick,

If it is functional, parametric models you're looking for, I've never had much luck with any sort of translator. Some translators claim they can convert files into featurized models, but they are very limited. I've opened SolidWorks files which were "exported" into ProE readable format, and got essentially the same thing I would expect to see from an IGES or STEP import; especially if there is ANY curvature to the part. I do know that SolidWorks does fine with simple parts (i.e. simple machined parts with standard sorts of features), so I would imagine if you are looking at simple parts there is something out there that would work. On the otherhand, if you are looking at simple parts, it would be just as easy to rebuild the parts in ProE.

Hi Afrolick,

You may try to go thru Inventor.Open MDT file in Inventor and Save as .step

from there.Then import into Pro/E.We have experienced such a conversion before and step files from Inventor seem to have much better quality.

Hope it will help.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back