Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Material Files (Xhatch & Color)

cpodom

I have worked out most of the bugs with using the new material files except for these last two items: the material cross hatching and the appearance colors. I have set the colors but they do not save with the file and I cannot get a cross hatch style to apply to the part.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Does anyone know the trick to get these two items to work?

Curtis Odom
Engineering CAD Manager
BLACK & DECKER HHI

I am still having a problem getting the cross hatch to show when using my material files. Any tips on mapping or .xch naming?

Fixed it;

It was mymistake; I was using the .xch suffix on the cross hatch callout in the material file.

How did you do it? We have material files too, but basically just set the density. I'd like to be able to set the cross hatch too if possible.

Leo;
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
We use just about everything the material files have to offer. We have determined that the most important item on our drawings is the material callout; especially since many of our items touch potable water. We have setup our Drawing Templates (parameter driven notes) and Start Parts (relations and parameters) to utilize a material file that will place parameter driven material callouts on the drawings as well as the mass properties. This insures an accurate, consistent company approved material callout every time. The material files have added bonuses; with them we have setup the FEA data for Mechanica (this is an average value for a simple analysis); cross hatching; and material colors. The cross hatching is <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:stockticker>PTC</st1:stockticker> standard issue but the color files are company defined by commodity families. In a standard shaded or cross sectional views you can quickly pick out which parts are from what material families. We setup all the material files; color files; and cross hatch files in text form and place them in our chosen directories. The directory paths are set in our config.sup.

Curtis,

Sorry to re-open this old thread, but I found it through google and was interested by your last post.

I have worked out how to display material parameters on a drawing and how to assign the cross hatching to a material (though I don't know how to create/edit xhatch files), but I don't know how to add the material colours to the material file. Can you please tell me how you do this.

Thanks,

Ian

Note: for anyone who doesn't know how to display material parameters on a drawing, you need to:

1. <LI>Open a part.</LI>
    <LI>Create your material file by going to Edit > Setup > Material, and selecting File > New.</LI>
    <LI>Enter all the information about the material into the default fields and create any user defined parameters by clicking on the user defined tab and then using it in the same way as the part parameters screen.</LI>
    <LI>Once you have finished, click on 'SaveTo Library...'</LI>
    <LI>Assign this new material file to your part.</LI>
    <LI>Create relations in the part for each of the material properties you need on the drawing. For example:</LI>
    <UL>
    <LI>MAT_DESC=material_param("PTC_MATERIAL_DESCRIPTION")</LI>
    <LI>MAT_PARAM1=material_param("USER_DEFINED_PARAM1")</LI>
    <LI>MAT_PARAM2=material_param("USER_DEFINED_PARAM2")</LI>
<LI>Then add notes to your drawing calling up the part parameters. For example:</LI>
<UL>
<LI>MATERIAL: &MAT_DESC TO &MAT_PARAM1 OR &MAT_PARAM2.</LI>[/list][/list]

To add an xhatch file to a material, look at the list of available xhatch file in load_point/text/crosshatch/ and type the name (without the .xch) in the Cross Hatching field on the Miscellaneous tab when you edit the material file.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back