Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Material assignement issue

AngusW

Hello all,

Im very new to ProE and i am experiencing a multitude of problems. I want to design a bladewhose material properies vary with distance. The model itself is built as a solitary part with complex geometry.

I tried breaking the part up into numerous sections and reassembling it with a material property assigned to each section. However, when i run the model in Pro E i get an error stating that the "highligted solid element has singular mapping"

To overcome this issue i tried redefining the mesh using brick wedge and tetra shapes and increasing the number of nodes. Unfortunately this results in the program crashing and no error's are identified. Is there any way to overcome this issue? Is there any easier way to assign different materials to sections of the same part?

Thanks a million,

Angus

i haven't designed composite parts, but it seems that if you try to look at this way, and define a layered composite in Mechanica,you will be able to solve the problem. if you're trying to analyse an FGM part, you should use another FEA package that allows you dive into element level and change the properties of integration points of elements. packages like ABAQUS and ANSYS give you the option to define user subroutines that can do that.

Thanks for the quick reply and help.

It is in fact a FGM part although Pro E is the only FEA package at my disposal. Is there any way to approximate the behaviour of an FGM blade in Pro E? It is a comparative test so the level of accuracy does not need to be to great as any errors will be applied to both models

You can do quite a bit in Advanced Mechanica as far as composites go. You can create shell elements. Within the shell you can apply shell properties. These include, symmetry, ply orientation, ply thickness, and number of plys. It also allows you to analyze your matrix looking at extensional stiffness, bending stiffness, coupling stiffness..etc.. It also allows the use of transversely isotropic materials utilizing E1, Nu12, G1, G23 and it has the F12 term input. I have a really simple composites beam analysis that I did for a class I recently took I can upload it. You will however need advanced Mechanica.....

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back