Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Mass Properties Question

SrGilberto

Hello all, and thanks in advance for your assistance.

I have an empty metal cabinet design. It is made of 5052-H32 Aluminum. I would like to assign the density so I can get an understandable total weight of the cabinet.

Currently this is what is reported by the Model Mass Properities:

VOLUME = 1.8822252e+03 INCH^3

SURFACE AREA = 3.0173937e+04 INCH^2

DENSITY = 9.7912060e-02 POUND / INCH^3

MASS = 1.8429255e+02 POUND

I would like to decipher this and understand what it's saying. If I need to change the density and you know what the density value should be for 5052-h32 aluminum, I would appreciate you letting me know what the correctvalue should be. + any other info you think you should supply.

Thanks again for your assistance,

SrG

Your density should be .097 lb/cu in. (in pro DENSITY = 9.7000000e-02 POUND / INCH^3). Your volume is 1.8822252e+03 INCH^3 (which is 1882.2252 cubic inches). Giving you a mass of 182.576 lbs.

Brian Johnson

Edit > Setup > Density to change the density of your part. Providing your density is correct then all your mass properties will compute correctly. Don't forget that Pro/E is only capable of computing mass by the density. Pro/E is only aware of volume.

mass = Rho x volume

All of this is much easier in metric land. A cube of 1 dm makes a volume of 1 dm3 and if it is water then density is 1 so the weight is 1 kg. Life can be so simple ...

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back