Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

marine prop model

jeff4136

2006-09-27_031315_marine_prop-vss01.prt.zip(WF2)

This is relative to a discussion on another forum and there's a waiting period for Files uploads. It's a simple model and I'm not a prop designer by any stretch of the imagination.
smiley1.gif

I searched briefly without results. If there are others laying about would someone point to them? Hope it's not an inconvenience.
Edited by: jeff4136

it is fascinating actually. I like the use of 'Moved Copy' That last 'Var Sect Sweep 2' is cool barrowing from the old SPINE technique.

Is that how a Prop designer does it? What board did this come from?

Edited by: design-engine

I can do that. ;^)

I don't have the first clue how it's really done. That model came to being
as a result of a fella looking for a model to use in a machine programming
class project and my desire to try some ideas, get a handle on VSS.
Edited by: jeff4136

I dug thru the model and could shed some light on it. I might have done it a little differently too ... for example they used a revolve to get the shape of the blade. I might have reached for the project tool instead. Maybe this weekend we can pad a spot and ill create a step by step document and a youtube haha...

Ive built blades before but never for a production.

Hey Jeff, thats really cool man, very interesting construction. your putting us all to shame, its a really cool looking model with a simple construction method.

Bart , youra proe Junkie, I was on the forum main page and your name was under a third of all topics!! Surely there's a 12 step program somewhere for that! Mind you I'm working on developing my addiction to the same level, any tips!!

NICE MODEL. I DIDNT REALIZE VSS'S WERE THAT FLEXIBLE. ONE QUESTION...WHATS CAUSING THE FIRST VSS TO ROTATE? I DONT SEE ANY DIM OR SETTING THAT WOULD CAUSE THE BEND FROM ONE END OF THE CURVE TO THE OTHER. I MUST BE MISSING IT OR HAVE SOMETHING TURNED OFF.

I would do it with a graph feature ... a trajpar variable but there is not a graph there to reference. He drives the angle variable

PROP-VSS01 is driven by relation sd4 = 130 + 30 * trajpar. He just adds 30 to the 130 .... so the angle changes from 130 to 160

Edited by: design-engine

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back