Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Losing Format Changes

verge

I've been making changes to our company format (small changes like adding a column for a description, etc.) lately. I delete all the old versions and save the new version twice before I close out of the format. Then I produce a drawing to make sure the parameters are all pulled into the table properly.

The next morning, the changes that I've made to the format the previous day are gone. Every time. The format is replaced with the previous version.A couple of days ago the system fixed the problem by itself when I rebooted it, but now that makes no difference. I simply lose whatever changes I've made to the format overnight. The drawings I produce with that new format usually remain intact, though, with the new format!

Any idea as to why this might be happening? Also, shouldn't every drawing that used this format update when I change the format?

Thanks in advance for your advice...

Sounds like you have the formats in the wrong directory. Check where your formats should be saved

Kev

PS Config.pro

The value I see for that option currently is dwgform.dtl. What does that tell me? What am I being prompted for here?

Is the data that is not updating in tables or in the format. Tables will NOT update automatically once they have been placed in a drawing. You will need to replace the formats with the new ones and select the replace table option. If you are using a PDM system and you didn't give the formats new names, then you will need replace the format with a temporaryone, remove the format from memory and your workspace, then replace the temp format with the updated one.

So, I rebooted my computer just now, and the same file I just opened has the added column in it.

To recap: I added a column to a table of my format. I deleted all old versions and saved the new format. I restarted my computer at the end of the day, as I usually do. I came in this morning to find that the format didn't have the new column I had added yesterday. I made sure that my format was in the right directory. I opened a drawing I had used this new version of the format for, and found that the drawing still retained the new column.

I rebooted my computer. I opened the same format file I had just looked at. The column reappeared. It was without a doubt thesame exact version of this file, as along the way I deleted every old version of the file to make sure I wasn't somehow accessing an old version.

Any ideas as to why this is happening? It's happened before in exactly the same way...

The tables in formats are copied into the drawing. So you have do page setup and reload the format in EACH drawing, replacing the old tables. Sounds like a job for Pro/Batch.

I know what you're saying about replacing the formats. The biggest drag about replacing them is putting the BOM balloons in again.

The hardest part of this problem is effectively communicating what's happening, because it's very strange. I made a change to a format, restarted my computer at the end of the day, came in the next morning and the changes had disappeared. When I then rebooted my computer again, the changes reappeared. Is this some kind of bug?

I am updating the sheets after the changes.

I moved the formats onto my hard drive for now, and haven't had the same problem since. I'm wondering if there wasn't an issue of bad communication between my hard drive and the server somehow.

Obviously, all of the data was there all along when the format was saved, or how could it appear again later? Yet when I opened the format, the column still wasn't there. Then, after a second reboot, the column appeared.

Well, I'm not sure exactly why it was happening, but it's stopped for now. Thanks to everyone for your help once again. Any further insights are always appreciated.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back