Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

license error

adams3463

I recently moved an installation of 2000i2 to a different machine (windows XP). I received the new license file from PTC with the new mac ID however the software will not run. I get a license error that says the "license file does not support this version". Since my company has newer versions of pro/e I suspected that I was given the license for the newer versions. The license does appear to be for 2001, however I've explicitly requested a new license several times for 2000i2 and I always receive the same one. I was told that 2001 should work for 2000i2 also. PTC's support was limited for me because our maintenance contract for that version is no longer active, so I never actually talked to a tech.

I attempted to hack the license a bit to force it to work by changing the version numbers with little success. The best I could do was to get a different error; "invalid host".

Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi,

It is strange! 2001 license should work for 2000i2 also..

Try changing the license file that the lic.Management software(FlexLM) reasds to your new license file..Have you done this already?

Do you have any other info ?

Is the flexlm successfully reading the new license file?

2000i2 does work with XP. I feel the problem is in changing the machine it was installed originally. Licence files are usually generated function of the workstation configuration, and they are unique for each machine. Have you informed them that you are installing the program on a different computer?

You may have to install a newer version of FlexLM on your new machine. there have been changes in the license file formats that were caused by chnages in the FlexLM code.

Firewire ports can cause problems with mac address. Disable any ports temporarly then run the install program.

On the first screen that appears, the mac address that the install program finds, will be in the lower left (or right). Check that this is the same as the address in the licence file.

You were told correctly that newer license packs are designed to be used with older versions of software. I think your issue might be license simplification.

Have your licenses been simplified to support Wildfire 2.0? If so you cannot use the license pack with 2000i2 (http://www.ptc.com/olm/ls_faq/#LMEligibleProducts). If your companyruns Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 2.0 you are forced to simplify your licenses.

PTC did a good job of ensuring you can't "hack" their license file. They must send you a properly generated file. You will have to call License Management and tell them you are trying to run 2000i2 and need an unsimplified license pack.

There is a direct line for license managment, but I don't know what it is. I always call PTC Technical Support 1 (800) 477 6435 and dial zero for the operator. The operator redirects me.

Just out of curiousity, why are you still running 2000i2?

Probably for the same reason we're still running 2001... Managment saw the cost of maintenance and vanished quick. Im now pushing them to get rid of all the seats of 2001 and buy new licenses for WF3 ( apparently it works out cheaper than trying to bring maintenance up to date !! )

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back