Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

License borrowing

cklem

We have 1 license to Pro/E and both Pro/E and the license server are installed on my workstation. We have a laptop that I will be taking to visit some customers. I was wondering if I can install Pro/E on the laptop. I am thinking that I need to borrow the license some how, but I don't know how. Can someone explain to me how I can get this to work? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

You have two choices:

1. Borrow the license from the "server" computer. I have learned NOT to do this, as I have been burned many times. I got burned by inadvertently borrowing for too many days and once borrowed, the license can not be checked back in until the specified time has past. This may be your only option if you will not have access to the internet where you are going.

2. VPN into your work network or CPUand use (not borrow) the license. To do this you must stay connected to the internet and the CPU with the license.

You set up the VPN so your laptop operates exactly like it was plugged in at the office. There is no Pro|E set up for VPN, it's more of an IT problem. Once your laptop can get a license at the office, once connected to VPN it will work the same way.

What you need is to set up your workstation as a license server. This is likely already done as I think this is the default license configuration. (You may have a locked license which means it will only work on your workstation, no way to get the laptop to work without changing your licensing.) Then when installing Pro|E on your laptop, connected to the network, you tell it to look to your workstation for the license.

At the office, you can use Pro|E from either machine, but not both at the same time since you have only one license.

If your IT folks won't set up a VPN for you, borrowing is an easier solution. It has worked well for me. The issue with not being able to return the license early will be a small one for you since you can always run Pro|E at the office from the laptop.

In this case IT is giving us a VPN, we have about 20 licenses. We are setting this up to use contractors (old direct employees) to moonlight for us in the evenings.

Thanks for the feedback

Instead of VPN for the license and running Pro/E in the laptop, why not link to the workstation and run Pro/E on that. You would only need the internet for display and you can get by with less horsepower on the laptop. Also, makes accessing the work network easier. It is just like working on your work computer but using a different display.

Mike

hansonm said:
Instead of VPN for the license and running Pro/E in the laptop, why not link to the workstation and run Pro/E on that. You would only need the internet for display and you can get by with less horsepower on the laptop. Also, makes accessing the work network easier. It is just like working on your work computer but using a different display.

Mike

If I understand you correctly this will not work, these employees do not have a workstation in our facility. Plus the licenses are on a server.

I have a similar problem with a twist.

My IT department will only allow me one VPN account, and that is currently linked to my travel laptop. I have a "Mobile Workstation" that I would like to run ProE on at home, but I don't want to haul it in every 10 days to borrow a new license.

Does anyone know of a way to borrow a license on one installation of ProE and then transfer it to another outside the network?

Why not use the "proe_borrow.bat" utility in the "bin" directory. I use it all the time to check out a license for up to five days.

NICE,

Once I say how many days I want it for how do I get it? Meaning... Does it give you the option to put it on a thumb drive or something?

The borroowed license is locked to the computer AND user that ran the borrow utility. You can increase the default from 5 to 14 days by setting LM_BORROW_DURATION to any value between 0 and 14.

On the machine borrowing the license, run the utility proe_borrow.bat in the <PTC_loadpoint>/bin folder. You must have an active network connection to your license server.

msummers said:
Why not use the "proe_borrow.bat" utility in the "bin" directory. I use it all the time to check out a license for up to five days.

Hi pal,

I could borrow license in WF2.0. I'm using WF3.0 now. Borrow license doesn't work. Iuse proe_borrow.batto check out a license. But when I unplug the network cable, it shows "license is lost". I have no ideahow it happens. Do you have any comment about this issue?

Ken

taik said:
Hi pal,

I could borrow license in WF2.0. I'm using WF3.0 now. Borrow license doesn't work. Iuse proe_borrow.batto check out a license. But when I unplug the network cable, it shows "license is lost". I have no ideahow it happens. Do you have any comment about this issue?

Ken

When u use the proe_borrow.batto borrow a license IT SHOULD be ur's until ur time is up <no matter if you want to give it back or not; which SUCKS>. However, if u borrow by simply connecting to ur workplace network and opening Pro/E, u can only use it while connected, so if u disconnect, u will lose ur license.

Hope this helps
Edited by: jelston

looslib said:
The borroowed license is locked to the computer AND user that ran the borrow utility. You can increase the default from 5 to 14 days by setting LM_BORROW_DURATION to any value between 0 and 14.

On the machine borrowing the license, run the utility proe_borrow.bat in the <PTC_loadpoint>/bin folder. You must have an active network connection to your license server.

Where can i find this LM_BORROW_DURATION option?

Thanks Jelston. Seems the license file is incorrect. I received a new license and will try again.

By the way, LM_BORROW_DURATION can be found from "environmental variable". If you didn't find it, just add it to environmental variable.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back