Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Library Parts Naming Conventions

channell

I am setting up a library of common parts such as screws, washers, nuts, etc. and I would like to know how you have named some of the parts.For example, for a M8 socket head cap screw 50mm long, I am thinking about naming it SHCS_m8x50.However, for ANSI hardware, I'm not sure about the best way to name, for example, a 1/4" diameter 1" long socket head cap screw.

What are some of the naming conventions you have used or are currently using?

Thanks for your help

You could use a system like
standard-standard_name eg. DIN912-M8x30 and
manufacturer-order_no
dont know whether ANSI includes a standard name for a component

My method is still in the perfecting mode, but something that I do that has saved days worth of time is using a family table to manage my bolts, nuts, etc.

Imodeledone textbook generic bolt and made a family table from it. In the family table I have the bolt length and diameter (depending on the type of fastener everything else should be based on the fastener diameter). I added all my commonly used diameter and lengths to begin with and add others as needed. MY MODELS are not "cute" because i didn't add threads (threads can be added and will update accordingly but it affects regeneration time). There are two major advantages to this method:

1. Replacement - replacing a family member requires no redefining

2. No need to go thru the normal process of adding a part - grab any bolt and repeat itanywhere a bolt needs to be and go back and replace the parts with the sizes needed.

Same can be done with washers, nuts, and other parts

When setting up library of common parts you can define MNU files in which you describe parts, so you can also name them as e.g. SHCS_m8x50. When opening common part from the library ProE will show description beside the model file name as follows:

shcs_m8x50 Socket Head Cap Screw

This way you don't have to bother so much with the part name.

In our company we are using the following common part naming convention:

type_standard_size.prt

E.g.:
bolt_din912_m8x50.prt

As for the ANSI version you may tryusing a minussign since you can'tuse the decimal point.Like this:

for a 1/4-20 x 1.00 socket head cap screw

SHCS_0-250X1-000

for a 1-8 x 2.500 Socket head cap screw

SHCS_1-000X2-500

Hope this helps some

I would suggest using the military or SAE convention for naming the parts. It helps in making the family of tables and the bolt numbers are widely used. Plus they've thought out all the permutations of these hardware fasteners.

Try typing "NAS bolts" into any search engine.

Hi All,

Does your company have it's own part numbering scheme? Are you planning to use the file names of the parts to create Bill of materials? These are also things you have to think about when setting your naming convention.

Jeff Toff

tim.brennan said:
I would suggest using the military or SAE convention for naming the parts. It helps in making the family of tables and the bolt numbers are widely used. Plus they've thought out all the permutations of these hardware fasteners.

Try typing "NAS bolts" into any search engine.

agreed with tim on this one, with one major caveat: This is also how our business managed BOM's and procurement wrt using this type of hardware in an assembly. If you have no intentions of aligning your CAD/PDM with your MRP/ERP system, then it is up to the engineering department to decide - as you are the only ones affected. If you have some goals in the near future of aligning all of your business software tools, it would be very advantageous to take this into account now...

configuring your proe clients to access the common library usingmnu files is hands down the friendliest way to do it as well, are you familiar?

I would have to agree with jelston, using a family table is the best I have found. We use a family table with several different types of nuts, bolts, washers, and etc. Also I would recommend starting your table titles out with a noun such as "screw, 8/32 x 1 Phillp Hd" or bolt, 1/4 x 2 Hex Hd, or something similar.

If you need to do a search for any hardware and have the capablity of using a wildcard, then this makes things a little easier. Done this many times at two different places I've worked. Being consistent and starting with a noun first just helps find your parts more easy. Justmy opinion.
Edited by: etron

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back