Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Lack of experience

To Mr. Doug, who loosing his cool and thinking that swearing (real cowboy) will help him over: I did not said that I am Superman, I did said that I am perfect and I did not said that my resume is better than yours. These are your statements and arguments, because you have to find something to dislike me for, your pride is bigger than your ego, when I read a poem you shout rock and roll, that is bothering you, not my how many hours of what. Funny, you would be so far the only person who could help and just denying the opportunity, too much work?

Nagy, it's looking more and more like you're beyond help, this is one word you really, really need to comprehend and take to heart for your own good and personal well-being:

hum

I am one of the lucky ones who has found a job as a designer and WITHOUT a degree. I DO have experience in the manufacturing field and with CNC/CAM but the job I have now is straight design. I had to take a bit of a pay cut, but it was what I have been working toward for quite a few years. Just keep on plugging away, the jobs are there to be found. Just take any kind of S#*t work to get in the door somewhere and try to work up.

I'm going to have to agree with donha. Let's please read his reply again.

And I am guessing sp was supposed to be SD which I'm assuming means San Diego. (refer to puppet's post above)

And one last thing to remember:

A positive attitude, determination, and reasonable expectations will get you a job. There are sometimes easier ways, but this one is guaranteed. And the fact that I used determination suggests that it may not happen in any short period of time.

Now, I'm not one to usually agree with Dougr (I'm sure he'll agree!), but I really think you should take some of his advice.

Layout your CV in a concise, precise manner (no waffle), and lose some of your anger. If you go to an interview thinking the world owes you something, no employer will touch you.

Basically, the only person who can help you is yourself.

Good luck,

Lesley

LNagy, you are my hero. If I were a hiring manager I'd grab you like toilet paper in a jungle of poison ivy.

I hear McDonalds is hiring. Maybe you can even get a drive-thru window position. Don't be fooled, that's were the real money is.

Read here what I found:

We are pleased to inform you that your resume is an excellent candidate for our national recruiters.

( http://www.ASAP9.com/ )

As you know, professional recruiters and headhunters are only interested in the cream of the employment crop when making recommendations to their highly prized contacts of employers.

Your resume exemplifies the type of skills, experience, and education our leading recruiters are searching to place in lucrative careers today. By building a network with our esteemed group of job hunters you immediately take yourself out of the slush pile in personnel and put yourself in front of the decision making managers that will hire you. You are actually creating an inside link to the leading companies that communicate with our professional headhunters on a daily basis.

Cold calls will be history and professional conversations with employers will be opportunities that will make your *hire* happen.

Recruiters will become your partner in the job search providing you With valuable insider information to each employer and each interview. They keep your spirits buoyed and your motivation in forward motion. Don't we all need that? You bet. We congratulate you on your outstanding resume and encourage you to connect with us today at

LNAGY

WOW, You must have a real impressive resume. I would print that out, frame it and put it on your office wall. Perhaps you should contact city hall I bet they would have a parade in your honor and then sing For he's a jolley good fellow to you.

I hate to burst your bubble... But I bet that is a canned reply for anyone who submits a resume.

So I'm suddenly thinking to myself why the hell am I reading all this? This is worse than reality TV shows. For god sakes, just get a job at Home Depot and then maybe you'll get a discount on supplies for building your monument.

Mike is right. There is even a push in our company (currently 100% made in usa and proud of it) to farm stuff oversees to save labor much to my dislike. The prevailing attitude seems to be if it isn't rocket science, it should go over seas.

The only advice I can give is to seriously work on a better attitude, learn to kiss butt, learn a variety of cad packages, and look for a VERY entry level job such as a floor sweeper or manufacturing temp worker stuffing packages. Then work your way up or at least pay the bills until something better comes along.

You will probably need to relocate too. From everything I am hearing from friends working in CA, it is really drying up.

Companies aren't there to give you a job, companies are there to make money and if you can't hit the ground running on their product, you are unproductive overhead. Doesn't take too much to figure out the result.

Laser guy

This looks like an old thread but would be interesting to see any follow ups or updates. I know 2002 & 2003 was a bad time to find a job, especially with the economy. I have seen quite a bit of improvement this year. In fact the company I work for has hired 5 designers this year. Has anyone found a job that was unemployed before?

Edited by: ehorn

At my company we have 6 people in the Engineering dept. in the last year. Two are part timers. Two are replacements for people who have left. Two are for increased business. Our Company is located in the midwest in a town of 25,000 people,and the wages are not as high as a metro area, but the lifestyle is pleasant.

One saying that I live by is "it's not what you know, it's who you know. Now, don't get me wrong, it does take a significant amount of knowledge to be a well rounded individual, whether you are a draftsman, designer, engineer, CAD Technician, or other title. What is very important that many seem to overlook is having the quality of common sense. Attention to detail is key as well.

As for finding a job, I have been working full time since 1998. My first job was working as a Draftsman for a telecomunications manufacturing co. I found out about the job through a friend I had there who at the time was a Manufacturing Engineer. This 3 month long position I was given turned into an 18 month long position.I then found out about a job right down the street which paid more and eventually took the job. I was layed off after 3 months. That company had hired an industrial design firm to do some new product development, speciflcally Pro/E work. My manager their introduced me to this design firm and after being layed off, I approached the small design firm and ended up with a job that lasted 2 1/2 years. I then was layed off and started working for a competitor that I met while on the job. My current job is now working for a company that my former boss had approached in the past to offer some engineering services. I knew the company had been considering outsourcing the work, but for whatever reason declined. So I used it as an opportunity at the right time, introduce myself with a resume, portfolio. I ended up with the job. Now I am in the process of converting 1500+ drawings of various mechanical parts and assemblies from Autocad to Pro/E and work on new development in Pro/E as well.

What I am trying to say is immerse yourself with people who are already users of Pro/E if at all possible. Do not wait for a job to become available. Create one for yourself. Some of the best jobs out there are not at monster.com or other places. They are the ones you find yourself. Sometimes, in order to get something done, you have to just do it yourself.

One creative way to find a job can be finding someone that has Autocad and show them all the advantages of Pro/E. Many, if they personally see the capabilities and can justify the expense, will upgrade to Pro/Engineer and see the benefits of doing so. Autocad has it's uses, but as for mechanical design, I personally feel that it is Autodesk's version of an Etch-A-sketch compared to Pro/E. LOL :)

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back