Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Joining Tubes at Angles

cxxl

Hello,
I have a question that is most likely very simple to
answer, but I am yet to find an answer and it is so
frustrating..
Using PE WF4 I want to model a part using 2 joined tubes at
an angle (not perpendicular or parallel) such as a bicycle
frame. For the life of me I cannot see how to angle the
sketching plane for the cylinder (extruded circles) to meet
the other cylinder at an angle. Can anyone please suggest
to me how?
Chris
smiley5.gif

You can do this several ways... one way is to preform a Sweep-Protrusion with the two angled tubes drawn in your trajectory and then draw the section of the tube

or you can angle a datum plane by first inserting an axis trough your X & Y plane and then creating a datum plane though this axis and define the angle off your X or Y plane.

tube.jpg

Edited by: GEAR_HEAD

Thanks gear_head. The "Sweep-Protrusion" method worked well
smiley1.gif
I am having trouble with the Datum method however...
how do i "define the angle" of a newly created datum? I can
only see the transpose, but no angle adjust...
Thanks gain,
Chris
PS: I realize I should be in the "modelling" forum, but i
am new to this all...

When you have created the axis click to create a new datum plane, it will be "through" the axis, as a secondary constraint select the TOP plane and you should be able to make it normal or offset, the latter is what you're looking for.

I can't remember and can't check right now, maybe instead of the "TOP" plane you ought to create another datum plane parallel to the TOP and passing through the same axis mentioned before

Paolo

There are any number of different ways to get tubes to join. It depends upon what your trying to do in the the prototype.For example a sweep like above works fine but will not give you the cut lengths for your jig for welding. A bicycle frame will require a jig.So for that technique you will require using top down design. I have a video on youtube called 'tubular frame structures' that illustrates how to layout a bike frame and use top down design to chop the tube segments into place complete with 1mm of clearance for the weld.

Check it out and leave a comment... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8exTmHo5IYQ
Edited by: design-engine

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back