Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Is it too late to create family table

asecker

Hi,

I have a complicated part which has a drawing containing 4 sheets. I need to create a variation of this part andmove one hole/cut feature. I want to give this new part a new part number but I do not want to just duplicate it as I want to maintain the link between the two parts as 99% of the features will be the same.

If I create a family table the Generic becomes my existing part and my new part becomes the instance and I can select the dimension of the feature. I can then change this dimension for the instance and create a new drawing showing this difference.

However, I'll have to reference the generic on my new drawing to allow the other features to be machined but this leaves room for error as the hole dimension might get machined to the old size.

Any idea what the best plan of attack might be?

Many thanks,

Adam

Hi Kdem,

Basically I'm going to have two parts. One part will befitted toone engine type and the other will be used on another engine type. 99% of the features are common so I'm just trying to think of the best way of doing it from a Pro/E point of view so that both parts remain linked and it's easy to understand from a manufacturing point of view.

Cheers, Adam

Create your family table with instances for both the original and the new part.

Change the instance in the original drawing to the newly created instance that is the same as the generic. Copy the drawing which will be used for the other instance by changing the instance that is used in the drawing.

All dimensions that were on the original drawing will be on the new one as well. If any are not needed, erase them (assuming you're using created dims), don't delete them, otherwise they will be deleted on the other drawing as well.

I would never create a FT for two or three complex parts, only simple high qty parts like nuts bolts and washers that the instances will never change in the future. I would keep the two models completely separate.

The only good reason for keeping them in a FT is if you intend to swap them in and out of assys regulalry and don't want to keep redefining the references. There are other ways of dealing with that anyway.

Since you guys are speaking about this,
Now when i change the dimensions of Generic part the
Instance changes. but does changing the Instance will
change the Generic?
i got weird stuff in my model!! i made a sheet and made
the Generic part to be folded to represent dimensions
after folding, and made unfolded Instance to be used in
Assembly. i do change the Instance for a apart and its
Generic changes, but in another one, when i do exactly
the same it does not!! i am using relations to change the
dimensions, please advice

Thank you all

Only dimensions in the family table will be independent of the two parts. If a dimension is not in the table, then it will modify both parts. Whether you modify it in the instance or the generic.

I use family tables extensively. If you don't use them you are missing out on a great tool. But, you have to understand them thoroughly so as to not get yourself into trouble.

If you do, you can always seperate the part from the family table very easily.

From what you describe it is a good candidate for a family table part but there should be no reason to reference the generic part for manufacturing.

Once you have the generic drawing complete, simply do a "Save As" and save the drawing as the instance name. Open that newly created drawing and simply do a replace. All the existing information will still be there for the new instance and the hole that is modified will also be reflected as long as it was simply a dimension change.

Another option you may want to look at is anInheritance feature. This references the original part and you can select features to be included. The caveat is the that you still have to have features required to regenerate all the features you pick. This basically creates a seperate part that is very similar but still references the geometry of the original part.

Thanks for all your suggestions. There's a few techniques I've not tried so I'll give them a go and see what works best.

Adam

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back