Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

"Invalid left side of assignment" message

edo777

Do anyone of you have ever metand resolved the following error message?

Line 1 part 001_FRAME: Invalid left side of assignment

it is not a parameter relation failure, ... so what's this?

Since I got this message the part crasches for several attempt in modifications..

help!

Help
Help Center
Global Search
Select Functional Areas >>> All
Search for: "left side".

If that's no ... help
smiley9.gif

you might try including enough info so people
don't have to guess what your problem is.
Maybe post a screen shot of your relations and params?

My guess: you've deleted a dimension that's being assigned.

Do you have this in your relations?
->Invalid left side of assignment. -> will be a big red arrow. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

try deleting all your relations the regen see if it still shows up if so do a global reference view see if there any externals
Edited by: pmack009

thanks for your suggestions, but the problem is NOT in relations between dimensions and parameters.

The red arrow problem in relations is simple to solve, just delete or check out for dims..

beView attachment 1919

the message appears as soon as I load the part..

Run Model Player or simply suppress all features and resume one or three at a time. Watch the message window for the error to show then investigate the offending feature.

> Check the part program

Got my hopes up with that one, but it appears only
part level (no feat or sec) relations show?

Couple of simple samples, each having an invalid
left side assignment. The section relations are
better at "hiding". `;^)

2006-03-07_010452_bad_feat_rel.prt.zip
2006-03-07_010525_bad_sec_rel.prt.zip

All in all, suppressing everything and resuming
blocks of features appears to be the most effective
way of finding the critters.

ModelCheck will report a D#.
Is there a good way to find the dim or relation owner?
.... errr; make that "the relation owner". The D# is an
invalid symbol (no longer exists).
Edited by: jeff4136

ok, thanks for your suggestion!

I'm going to try out your suggestion and give you feedback as soon as possible..

mmm... i have identified the feature provoking the "Line 1 part 001_FRAME: Invalid left side of assignment" alert.

It does contains relations with parameters, but in the relation list no problems are presents. no red arrows nor other

but.. when I try to edit the definition offeature that generates the message,ProE crashes without any hope for my serenity..

mmm.. I send you my 2006-03-07_062629_frame.prt.zip crashing part.. If you have any free time and time to deal with..

regards,

Hi
See attached screenshoot for solution.
In short, you have relation within feature (d956 = spessore_parete). a dimension that doesn't exist any more.
While in relations, instead Look In Part select Look In Feature, select your feature (I believe it has id 12850, feat # 20), you will have that bed relation.

2006-03-07_115842_frame_rel_error.zip

Feature #20, 31, 32, 33 have invalid relations (Tools, Relations, Look In: Feature)

Feature #51 has an invalid section relation (Look In: Section)

Edit Definition Feature #20 still crashes. Don't know, think I'd retrieve all parents into session, force a regen of everything and then try again. If it still crashes seek professional (
smiley2.gif
send it to PTC) help.

(Sorry, Isair. Didn't refresh before posting.)
Edited by: jeff4136

hi guys,

thanks for suggestion, this approach in investigating features was really new for me!

mmm however still crashes..

mm

Edo

Again you have from the same reason error, this time in features feat # 31, 32, 33, delete those bad relations and it should be fine.

I know this thread is almost 6 years old but it is the only one on the internet so I figured I'd share my recent findings as I've been struggling with the exact same left side assignment error during regeneration.

My part is brand new and I am 100% certain that my relations are good and that no internal sketches have any such relationships added during their creation. My problem was somewhere else.

If you enter the relations window (Tools -> Relations) you will see a drop-down box on the lower right corner of the window that reads Initial. Click on the right downward pointing arrow and select the Post Regeneration option. This should expose which built-in relations are causing the problem. You can try deleting the problem lines or everything which is what has worked for me...

uneekone, send me your file and I will look at it.

There were several errors in the file from the post above,
not just one. (see attached part file)

Regards,

Tom Peterek
Active Design Consulting Inc.

<a target="_blank" href="uploads/tgsp/2013-01-09_084716_frame.zip" target="_blank">2013-01-
09_084716_frame.zip</a>

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back