Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

intralink - windchil on managing RSD

design-engine

I've been teaching Pro/CABLE and RSD workshops over the past years but have never been asked about how database submissions should occur. I go back to the Pro/PROJECT days BTW. Since All I do is teach classes and contract outside of the firewall I get only little exposure to the new database functions.But I am asked all the time....

One recent manufacture wanted to export the RSD block and wiring diagram and import that data back into the Pro/E drawing. I mentioned to their CAD manger I doubt that exercise is necessary that you should be able to submit the RSD file strait into intralnk. ... but wondered how other admins would suggest handing the Routed Systems Designer files.

I know that those new library functions (database management software) can handle multiple CAD platforms... ie. solidworks, Autocad, illustrator, jpgs.

If any admin experience out there with ID firms or manufactures who try to mange concept sketches. With the advent of Cintiqe drawings that export .jpeg data, how are the database software management tools handling those? I suspect if the jpg is named with respect to a project number it could be tracked. Can you browse images in the new database tools?
Edited by: design-engine

I didnt understand your question clearly, but what I did. I am using Ilink from last two years. As I know, that we can configure any file with its handling application, but you must not install the application with the spaces in path of installation. like you cant make path like this c:\program files\xyz. But you can make it c:\xyz\.

I also need a database system that can handle CAD data from multiple softwares and work like intralink. If you know about anyone plz tell me.

in windchill PDMLINK database marks ALL files within special files/tages which are called metadata. This provides ability to store all types of files, no matter if they are CAD or not. More, meta data is up to drive all relathionship between files, so if There is anyProduct, You can store there isnpections materials, test reports, CAD models, instructions, drawings in tiff, jpg, pdf etc.

That was not posible in Pro/PDM while there Pro/Engineer was up to store all "relationship" information in files.

Two - Windchill gives possibility to create common database for different location by use of replica servres.

RSD allows you to save a design into a workspace of Intralink.
The parameters can't be transfered to the Intralink metadata.

But I can't tell you how to configer RSD for doing this.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back