Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Intralink to be discontinued. What now?

mdristy

I just heard from my PTC sales rep that Pro/INTRALINK (3.x / 9.x) will be discontinued and that Intralink will not work with Wildfire 5.0 and later. Apparently Intralink extended support will be offered for a while, but Intralink won't work with Wildfire beyong 4.0.

So customers wanting a PTC PDM solution will have to use Windchill based PDMLink or Product Point. An upgrade fee will be charged to migrate to either of these. Apparently, PDMLink is far too expensive and complex for all but large, multi-user companies. You can buy an IBM hosted version of PDMLink, but thenyou have to pay IBM an annual fee to keep your files on their servers. You can't keep your files on your own servers.

So smaller companies are probably stuck with Product Point. Has anyone used Product Point? How do you like it? Does it provide good CAD file Release Process and Revision control? Does it provide other powerful Intralink utilities like Object Duplication?

Thanks.

Pro/INTRALINK 3.x series was proclaimed dead last june and that was after the special extended period.

Pro/INTRALINK 8.0, 9.0, 9.1+ is windchill based (Wintralink) and is a subset of PDMLink. Wintralink 9.1 M030+ will work with WF5.0, and later maintenance releases are suppose to support WF6
"Forward looking statements subject to change without notice"

We are looking at migrating from 3.4 to 9.1 because we have already paid for it through maintenance. the server hardware to support 25-35 users is going to cost about $6-7K. Dual quad core 3Ghz, 24 GB RAM 1T disk.

9.1 is a little more clunky than 3.4 but we want to be able to upgrade to WF5 and WF6

The migration and administration seems "almost" simple now but only after a significant amount of work over the last few years. PTC/U has the Migration and administration web classes and they were a big help. TriStar also has there PDMLink Quick reference guide which is a must have

Product Point is definitely a step down from Wintralink 9.1 in functionality. It is also only at release 1.x. It usualy requires about 3 major releases for a newly introduced PTC product.

Joe

Thanks for the post Joe. It's hard to believe my PTC sales rep could be so mis-informed. I had a lengthy discussion with him just a few minutes before I posted that message. I'm certainly going to call him back with the information you have provided and see what he says. It's getting tiring constantly chasing different PTC PDM solutions, and trying to figure out what the best long term approach to PDM is for my company. Sorry to the forum for any mis-information in my post.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back