Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Intralink 3.4 to 10.1

BRENTMARINE

I am looking at upgrading my Intralink form 3.4 to 10.1 and have to see if the cost is worth it. We currently only have 2 users(1 full time). We received a quote of almost 40K for the migration.

First, should it really cost this much?

Second, is it worth it?

Any other suggestions?

We're a global company with multiple locations and just went through this migration in February. The cost was higher as we merged two Ilink 3.4 systems during the upgrade. We leveraged Tri-Star's expertise to perform the upgrade. Definitely worth the price, since we did not have the internal expertise. An upgrade will be necessary if you plan on moving to CREO.

I think you're asking the wrong question. It should be do I NEED TO upgrade ProE to Wildfire 5 or CREO. If that answer is yes then yes you need to upgrade to a compatible PDM system. If it's no then no reason to upgrade.

We are also a small company with 5 users and we upgraded to WF5 and PDMlink9.1 last year. Knowing what I know now, I would have stayed on WF3 and IL3.4.

$40K is high for just the migration. I hope it includes more.

We paid:

$16K-Migration from IL3.4 to Windchill PDMlink9.1

$10K-New Server, old server used for ProductView

$12K-User Training

$5K-New Licenses and maintenance

$7K-3 new workstations

Good luck with whatever you decide.

With only 2 users I would not have tought that you have all that much data to migrate. If I was you I would get the 10.1 installed, set up your Products and libraries etcand pull your Intralink stuff in yourself. You could do all this without using PTC.

Thanks for input. I thought it was extremely high. I hear PTC is coming out with a Windchill "Lite" version after beginning of year at a far lower price and cost of implementation.

I would definitely not recommend doing it yourself. There is a lot of value in using someone with experience. However, $40K is insane. Depending on the size of your database I would estimate $12-15K should do it. It all depends on what product and options as well as the configuration you wish to go with. The more complicated, the more expensive.

If you keep it relatively simple and close to "out of the box" you will make it easier not only now but in the future for upgrades. It will also reduce the cost.

Windchill is an extremely broad and diverse product. It would be impossible for a casual implementer to know and understand all the tasks involved. Let alone how to deal with issues that you will most definitely come across.

There is always issues with migrating data. Particularly with family tables. I am a 2 user facility but I have a fairly large database. Number of users don't necessarily equate to a small database.

PTC will release a Windchill lite "PTC Windchill PDM
Essentials" in start of 2013. It will be sold by channel
partners/VAR's.
Contact your local VAR to get more info.
Installation and configuration will be very easy. You can
be up and running in a few hours
smiley4.gif

Best Regards
Johannes von Zastrow
Channel Technical Manager
PTC
Edited by: jnoval

A upgrade from Intralink 3.4 to PDM Essentials will perhaps
not be very easy, as Pdm Essentials run on MS SQL DB and
PTC's migration tools from Intralink 3.4 to Windchill are
running on Oracle DB.