Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Intralink 3.4 back-ups - HOW?

jgray_globus

I have been assigned to be the iLink/WF3 Admin. I have come to learn that our database is not being backed up correctly. Not even sure if we could use the data from the back-up. Never ran a test or trial-run.
I am looking for a Good, Simple, few proof way to get this done. I have the support of our IT department to get this done. But no one is knowledgeable enough on how to get it done. Have read about script file to create the dump and hot/cold back-ups.

Please reply to this email if you can supply me with some help. Would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jason

Minium requirement is to export the database

use the Pro/Intralink command

dataserver\intralink\export\ilink_export.bat dumpfile.dmp manager

where manager is the system/oracle password

I personally do an export, stop the database, copy all of the dbf files to a new location, then restart the database. All of the server is then backed up onto tape.

Bill,
Thanks for the reply!!

So you are saying to do the following in order
1. Export using the ilink_export.bat
2. Stop the database
3. Copy all of the DBF files - HOW?
4. Restart the database.

Will this give me all the info and files that I would need If I had a catastrophic lose of the server and/or database?

I want to make sure that If I keep these files off site, or protected, that I would be able to reinstall ilink on a new server and launch the database successfully.

I just need it to say exactly what I need to do for this operation.
Is there a script that would do this automatically at night or some specified time frame.

Thanks
Jason

The batch file I use is tailored for our site. It basically exports the database, then renames it from dump.dmp to 03102008.dmp. It then stops the database and uses robocopyto copy, in my case, d:\database to d:\database-copy. I keep 3 copies of the dumpfile, to cover weekend working when only one tape backup is done (dumpfiles are purged each day to keep 3). The tape backup job is scheduled each weekday for everthing on the dataserver using veritas.

We have 5 fileservers, one on each of our sites which again are backed up each weekday.

To restore a dataserver the way I have used is to rebuild software from scratch, then import the dumpfile - test this method to ensure you know exactly what to do, ie start with m10 and work your way thro to m40

Bill,
Ok, i think I understand the ilink database back-up. Do you also back-up:
Oracle - Datafiles, Control file, Archive logs, and database initialization file

External File Vaults - Master vaults required, replicated vaults optional

Content Cache vaults - Can find location through the Pro/INTRALINK External Storage Administrator window

LDAP Information
- This is best backed up through the copying of an LDAP export file to ensure that any cached modifications are stored.

I have read multiple places that this all shoudl be backed-up also. ??

Thanks again
Jason

Jason, As I stated previously ALL of the dataserver is backed up onto tape after the export and copies have completed. PTC recommend that the dataserver and fileserver are separate units. The scheduling of the backups are always started well after the replication and in our case there would be no cached transactions etc.. Also our servershaveeither raid installed (windows ds) or mirroring (unix fs) for extract robustness.

The minimum required if you have a disaster is the dumpfile from the dataserver and backups from any vault locations.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back