Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

intent chains / logical objects

mdemers

Hi,

I use WF3 and my logical_objectsoption is set to "yes".

I'm having trouble using the "intent chains" functionnality in Pro/E.Two cases,two behaviors :

1. I start apartand select, in the second dialog box, "empty" instead of picking a startpart. I can then create a first protrusion and then second, a chamfer for example, and select the intent edges. Everything works fine.

2. I start apartand pick, in the second dialog box, a startpart that we've built inhouse. I create a first protrusion. Then I create a chamfer as a second feature, but Pro/E won't let me select any intent chain. I go to my config.pro and the logical_objects option is still set to "yes".

Is there anything, any info or option, the a model can keep embedded and that will disable the logical_objects option?

Regards,

Mathieu

Looking at Help the logical_objects option is only required if working with
models created in versions before 2000i2. (How old are your templates / start
parts?).

If, instead of picking, you pre-highlite, RMB -> Pick from List; does the
IntentEdg:F# show up?

I guess there are some other things that might be applicable; are you making
the jump from a pre-WF version?, do you have pre-select highlighting on?, ...

To select an intent chain select an edge of the surface (bold red, select edge twice), hold theSHIFT key and select a different edgeto chain select all the edges related to a surface. To select an edge one at time select a first edge and holding the ALT keyyou canselect any edge of the model. To select edges of a surface one at a time select the first edge, hold theSHIFT key, select the first edge again, and select additional edges to add to the chain.

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

Jeff, I can't tell about the age of the templates. But since I use WF3, I thought this kind of functionnality would have been available regardless of the age of the model. Not?

And no, IntentEdg doesn't show up when I use "pick from list" to preselect features or sub-features in the model based on my startpart. And yes, preselcted highlighting is on.

Kdem, this workaround is good. Thanks. But it unfortunately doesn't cover cases where I want to select simultaneously multiple parralel edges of an extrusion, asshown in the picture below. Sorry if I put you on a wrong track by mentionning intent "chains". I was simply trying to use an expression that includes intent surfaces, intent edges and perhaps some more that I forget.

So, any other idea of what could be preventing me from picking intent sub-featuressimultaneoulsy like on the pic below?

Thanks,

Mathieu (using WF3)

I went back and tried what you are doing and found Iget the same results using the template files we have. Creating a new start template as Jeff suggested seems to take care of the problem. Using a template created in WF2 and openning it in WF3 I was still able to select the intent edges. Anyone knowwhether changing from one OS to another would affect this? We updated from 32-bit machines to 64-bit machines.

We had the same problem with not being able to use intent chains on our old start parts. The fix (in WF2) was to set "logical_objects yes" and force a full regeneration of the start parts using Tools/Model Player with the Regenerate Features box checked.

Intent chains worked in start parts which were saved after this procedure.

Hope this works for you

Right! That's the part I was missing. A former colleague had told me but I had forgot it since.

Thanks to all.

Mathieu

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back