Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Insert Object With Transparent Background

hdwdlnd

I am new to Wildfire 4 but I have been using Wildfire 2 for quite some time. At work we create assembly drawings and we insert actual pictures of the assemblies, overlaying them with drawing views of the assembly. We do this by taking a snapshot of the model while it is open and in the same orientation as the assembly views in the drawing. We use Insert->Object->Microsoft Word Document then we paste the clipboard image of the model. There is an option in the MS Word program called "Set Transparent Color"where we can then choose the white background. When we close the Word Document window the image is shown on the drawing as a background image. In other words, you can see the actual assembly view of the drawing over the top of the clipboard image. This allows us to resize the clipboard image, lining it up with the assembly view. This technique works with Wildfire 2 along with Office 2003, 2007, and 2010 in Windows XP.

In Wildfire 4 we experience a problem with this technique. Performing the same operations outlined above on a Windows XP computer (It does not matter if we use Office 2003, 2007, or 2010, we get the same result) the clipboard image shows up on the drawing but it's on top of the geometry/assembly view. Also, the background appears black once inserted in the drawing. When we print the drawings to pdf, it looks correct with the clipboard image background (black/white) not showing up and the clipboard image is behind the assembly view. It appears to be a setting or glitch with the way the drawing file is handled in Pro/E.

I realize this is a long shot, but I'm hoping someone sees this because it's really causing some headaches at work. Thanks.

Why don't you just use ProE's shaded view in the drawing? In Wildfire 4 you can use shaded views in the drawing.

Select the view in the drawing, right click on it. Properties, View Display, Display style, Shading.

That is not going to solve the issue. Thank you for mentioning that option but it does not apply in our situation.

Is there a way to insert a picture into a Pro/Engineer WF 4 drawing file and make it a background image?

The reason is, the picture represents an upper level assembly and not the sub-assembly being outlined by the parts list bom. The picture is overlayed over the sub-assembly drawing view. We could just add the upper level assembly as another model to the drawing and point the part list to the sub-assembly model but the upper level assembly is enormous and we would rather not add that to the drawing file. Thanks again for the help.
Edited by: hdwdlnd

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back