Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Insert Casting

jacksaab

I have to show a steel insert die cast in place in an aluminum die cast part. If I stay in "part" mode and take a section through the part the two components will appear as one. Is there any way of showing two distinct parts other than creating an assembly?

Thanks in advance.

Jack

I am working on a similar project right now.. iron casting for a train car. We are using top down to show the insert cores. still need to see in an assembly tho. u

Oh... your trying to compare one and another part? elaborate.

Edited by: design-engine

Thanks "Deign Engine"..

Forgive my ignorance, but , what is "top down" design?

When I take a cross section through the part the cross hatching shoukd be different in both parts; the insert and the primary part.

the insert part is the core right? Well its hard to model the inside cavity so using top down design you can pull out the interior and model that as a solid to later be removed.

I think thats what you are asking to do?

Edited by: design-engine

jacksaab,

the bottom line is that you need two parts in an assembly to achieve different crosshatches (unless you manually sketch ON the drawings itself, which is never recommended), so the answer to your orignal question is no. How you get to the assembly, and more importantly create a perfect interface between the steel insert and the aluminum casting, is up to you...

Typically you would model the casting with a solid interior, model your insert, assemble them then cutout the insert from the casting. That way the intersection will update with changed to the insert.

One more suggestion.....

Design the casting with solid material for the position where the insert is required.

Model the insert and then in the Part mode of casting...

Insert> Shared data -> Cutout from other model....

IMP. Supress the holes in the insert and mark the feature as INDEPENDENT.

Complete the feature.... Now resume the HOLE feature in the insert.

Create Drawing for the Casting. Create another drawing with assembly of Cast part and Insert. Create a detail view of the portion with Insert in place.

Tools >Overlay .... the view of the Detail view of the assembly drawing in the Casting part. This is how your drawing should look...

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back