Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Independant Contractors

szczecin

I am curious if anyone works for themselves using Pro/E. Anyones experience in that endevour would be helpful

lol...I,d like to. I do have WF2 at home. I just haven,t advertised. I've done small jobs here and there but the right situation hasn't come along.

When you work for yourself you multiply you bosses by how many clients you have. Be careful what you ask for. the last person I spoke with that owned a company told me he works to make payroll. Could it be that he does not work for himself but for his employees? Thats a good stab in the back!

Hi

Mybrother has company in india. they will help you do any kind of cad, engineering and software work

the guys who run the Design Engine office in England are in India too. Designing Scooters. Guess there is not an office in England any longer and there is a lot of

There have been a great deal of problems outsourcing even small projects to India. Miss communication and management problems mostly.

For larger projects I have noticed some (watching major manufactures from a distance) success but only when the India born managers are trained by the specific company in the US for several years then the manager is sent back to India to manage the outsourcing work. This might not be the forum for opening this can of worms tho.

I have a hard enough time managing projects that are in front of me much less outsourcing to another culture ...

Edited by: design-engine

Bart, couldn't agree with you more. We deal with China a lot and the only reason it works is that we have chinese engineers trained by us out there working for us. Even then it usually isn't as smooth as it would be if it was all done here.

There's a lot to be said for jumping in the car and nipping down to a consultant or tool maker an hour down the road.

EGad....I have a hard enough time with engineering 200 mi away. My primary job is to interface between engineering and manufacturing and help design Manufacturable parts.(I also Program CNC equipment and redesign legacy partsfor cost reduction purposes) It is hard enough to communicate between the 2 groups of people without having a cultural barrier like that.

michael3130 said:
Bart, couldn't agree with you more. We deal with China a lot and the only reason it works is that we have chinese engineers trained by us out there working for us. Even then it usually isn't as smooth as it would be if it was all done here.

I do quite a bit of on site training an 80 percent of the onsite training has Chinese born or sometimes India born engineers in the class. Usually they are smart as a whip and most impressive.... quick. Generally speaking only the very best get asked to come work at the manufacturers in the states so don't let that mislead ya. ;)

Engineers and industrial designers can speak in generalizations often within culture because thats learned in the seventh grade USA science class. Categorize things by touch - smell - sight. In the eighth grade you learn thats called prejudice. - I heard that from an astrophysicist.

Later in your masters program you learn thats called ethnography observational research

design-engine said:
I do quite a bit of on site training an 80 percent of the onsite training has Chinese born or sometimes India born engineers in the class. Usually they are smart as a whip and most impressive.... quick. Generally speaking only the very best get asked to come work at the manufacturers in the states so don't let that mislead ya. ;)

I wish to ask a question. Are we not collaborating thru this forum? Yes you are bound to have cultural differences, grammatical errors in the spoken language, Engineering culture (as handed over from one generation to another) and so on....

All said and done, there are companies that have operations in India and running sucessfully.

Ofcourse, yours truly is also an Indian Engineer, trained in India, practiced in India for most of my career, have collaborated sucessfully both with European and Japanese culture. I believe my language too is well understood by the forum members though it may not sound like the Queen's language.

Finally we have to collaborate as one Engineering Team, due to economic necessity.

design-engine said:
I need a change. Plus in India I can have two wives. I want to go so bad!
Welcome...I am looking for a change myself. Now there is an ENGLISH saying..."The grass always looks greener in thy neighbour's garden".

As regards having TWO wives, there is only one problem.You can have FOUR (why TWO) provided you convert to ISLAM.
smiley1.gif

fyi.... I too cannot have two and I do not intend to convert.

I thought Hyndu was the one to convert too? I have to convert from something? My religion is three things... Yamaha, proe, girls and new products. I can't think of much else. Except travel to india. our England group sent me pictures of a cow. It obviously had chalk from a wedding on her. Above the cow was a sign that said. "proe training" with a phone number. They are all there still. Its been 2 years in India.

I should have framed that.

Holy cow !!!

Glad to hear that even COWS of my country wed before they go about satisfying their needs. That certainly iscivilized.

By the way, is that how you advertise your company? On the cow with a phone number to contact? No wonder you get only shepherds to train!!!!

Your people in India should attend a training programme in an INDIAN business school where they would learn EMPHATHY along with some business sense. Suggest this to your management.

You will have no reason to complain.

A person looking at the FULL MOON will either wow the beauty of creation or he will criticize the spots on it. It all depends on what HE WANTS TO SEE.

It is hard to read your tone of voice on the post but ....

I think the cow had wondered into view of the sign by coincidence and the English guy took the picture with both Pro/E training hi up on a telephone poll saw there was proe training in India.... The sign was on a telephone poll high off the ground. It was an India Pro/E training company number not English.

I am not sure from you writing above but I think you may have mis understood what I was saying.... I think the English guys who used to run design-engine in London and who are now in India know how 'evangelistic' I am about Pro/ENGINEER. They thought I might appreciate that there was someone in INDIA maybe as excited as me about what I do for training because of the learn proe signs on telephone polls. I don't think that photo was in bad taste or critical... the photograph was the most colorful image I can remember from this year.

I truly want to go to INDIA but not just for a visit.... I want to go for a year or more like my English brothers who are on their second year. Maybe if I go I will like them, not come back.

If we trade... maybe you will have to teach me social etiquette. The most interesting thing you will see in Chicago is a double tall bicycle welded from multiple bike parts. I don't even know how they get on a bike that is 11 feet tall in the first place.

I like spots.

So I see a lot about the out source market, and a couple of cautions. Here is my question. If a person

1) wants to take the risk

2) can compete with china or india .. I think we US citizens of UK heritage can

what is the best way to get started and get your name out there.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back