Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Improved stability with 64-bit system?

fiebigc

My co-worker and I have used WF2 through WF5 on Windows XP 32-bit system with 2Gb of RAM for a number of years now. All WF versions become unstable and randomly evaporate when system memory becomes low. I believe XP 32-bit has a 3Gb RAM maximum.

Would transitioning to Windows 7 64-bit eliminate this instability?

If so would the improve stability be due to the 64-bit architecture or simply the improved RAM capacity?

Thanks!

I can't speak for Windows 7 (I'm on XP pro) but I have been running a 64 bit machine for a year now. Since upgrading I don't think it's crashed on me once. On my old 32bit machine it crashed almost daily. There were no other changes made. I would never go back to a 32bit machine.

Whether that architecture or increased RAM I couldn't say.

If memory is the issue, Yes, a 64 bit system will improve the stability as long as you have more memory. A 64 bit system does use a little more memory for the OS and system functions so more is always better.

XP 32 bit actually can use up to 4Gb but processes and applications are limited to a max of 2Gb per instance. You can modify that with the /3gb switch which will allow for 3gb per instance but you have to be sure there is enough memory reserved for the system and video or you will get unacceptable results. Crashing, strange happenings with your display, etc.

Another factor may also be the stability of the physical
RAM chips.

I've just built a new PC and had all sorts of problems
getting stable RAM. Try stress testing your RAM with
MEMTEST86+ and PRIME95 and see if your machine crashes.

You may actually find its faulty RAM.
Edited by: moriarty

I'm using Windows7 64bit OS currently, and upgraded 4
other users using WF5 as well.

drgallup is right: Invest in decent memory, it pays
itself off in spades in the long run.

We've had nothing but more stability, and better
performance across the board. I still crash WF5 about
once every other week.

Just an example of how well it works: I can concurrently
run Wildfire5 and Flotherm thermal modeling software for
the first time in my professional life...

Compared to the terrible WinXP64bit daily crashes, just
on modding parts/assemblies, it's a fantastic upgrade.

Dave

Has anyone seen a reduction in crashes with Creo?

Or is this so deep in the code that it will never ever be fixed? I've found this to be such a nagging problem for so many years I can't believe its never been corrected.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back