Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

import data

Hi,

What do you want to do with facet data?? reverse engg??.You will have to put your question in a better way.we will not know what you are looking at.

Regards,

Deepak Bhat
Edited by: deepakbhat_nie

deepakbhat_nie said:
Hi,

What do you want to do with facet data?? reverse engg??.You will have to put your question in a better way.we will not know what you are looking at.

Regards,

Deepak Bhat

Hi

Actually i want to go for reverse engg. only.

plz see the below image

u will notice that the facet model is more disturbed at the round

I want to create a solid model from this faceted data but i get very irregular surface at the round

what can be done regarding this problem

regards

View attachment 2659

True it is an triangulated data so you are going to get this type of data only.

Well when you are supposed to create a parametric model from this as a reference.all you need to do is logically select the reference from the facet data and use the same as reference to create the feature.you can then delete the reference to dimension the feature properly andto acheive a feature which is not dependent on the Import model.As far as round goes dont worry abt it as it is not going to impart any significant affect on the design.all you will have to do is try to match your proe round with the imported data.

Let me know if you are facing any problem in this.

Regards,

Deepak Bhat

i read ur reply

from facet dataI first clean it, refine it.

afterwards by using restyle i generated surface automatically but this surface isn't

that smooth so is it that now i should use this restyle surface as reference and draw respective curves and afterwards delete therestyle surface reference anddimension the curves so as to create a parametric model

did u mean the same what i have written above

Hi,

I think I have notexplained properly.

First Question:Are you trying to reengineer the same model which you have posted.??

Well you dont have to go for Restyle allways as you can create the features in the normal FAP uou can go for restyle when you are having complex surfaces which is very difficult to follow.

follow this steps.
1. Try to capture the design intend by creating the curves.(Taking the reference from the STL Data) Take asmany reference as possible so that you capture all the features.

2. use curves created from step 1 to create the feature like extrude revolve surfece etc.

3. unlink the features from the curve.

You are done with creating the features.

now make sure that there is no child for the imported feature and after making sure that all the features are created then delete the imported feature.

Hope this has answered your question.

If you are still finding problem Then PM me with your mail id I will send some docs regarding the best practices in reverse engineering.

Regards,

Deepak Bhat

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back