Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Imperial and metric dims on drawings

Lesley

Hi,

I'm in the process of producing a drawing dimensioned in metric, but with an imperial thread (which I converted to metric for modelling purposes). I know this is extremely bad practice, but if that's what the customer wants ... My problem is, the datum is the thread dimension, which I can't place on a created dimension (which I've used to show the UNF thread size).

Does anyone know if it's possible to tellproe to show a selected dimension in inches? I don't want the other dimensions to show as 'duel' units. Alternitively, does anyone know how I CAN place a datum on a created dimension??

I don't think this can be done, but any help would be gratefully received!

Thanks,

Lesley

smiley1.gif

I would manually dimension the thread and then overide it (Delete the @D and replace with @O).

This does get you out of the odd spot of trouble now and again.

Thanks, guys - that is what I would do normally, but the problem is with the datum bit. The thread dia is the datum, but you can't create a datum on a manual dimension - at least, I can't in 2001.

Thank you all anyway,

Lesley

smiley1.gif

You can not change a part dimension to @O. Only a draft dimension can be changed to @O. You could change the part dimension to @S and change the symbol to UNF. Then put add the inch thread size as text before the dimension like:

1/4-28 @S so it will display 1/4-28 UNF

Nice one Dr.
smiley32.gif

As long as you have only one size of UNF threads in your part.....

(Maybe I should have mentioned my example was a draft dim)

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back