Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

I wish this came from PTC Marketing

michaelpaul

From SW 2008 release notes.

The SolidWorks interface has been improved to decrease mouse travel and
increase the screen real estate available for design. A new CommandManager
layout, embedded view display menus, and customizable pop-up toolbars
increase efficiency and workflow. Getting to commonly used commands and
customizing the layout will be easier than ever and will benefit new and
existing users alike.

Michael

Edited by: michaelpaul

This is very true.

The new Command Manager is better than the 2007 version but could still use some more work. In terms of saved mouse movement there is a new Shortcut Bar that can be shown by using a quick key that you set and shows a toolbar that can be customized to show different context sensitive commands that are different in each mode i.e. Sketch or Feature or Assembly.

To customize the shortcut bar you just right click and select customize and drag the icons you want to add onto it. Solid Works has also introduced fly-outs to the Arc Rectangle and other commands which saves a lot of space. However unlike Pro/E you cannot add extra icons to the fly-outs which would be a nice option hopefully that's in the works.

Right Clicking has been made almost completely unnecessary. Whenever you select a Feature a small toolbar appears which allows you to insert sketches, edit features show/hide features as well as Suppress and Resume (Unsuppress) features.

Here is an image I made that shows several of the new improvements in one picture

View attachment 4391

The ruler shown above allows the user to snap to exact values as shown when cursor is over ruler or to any value when cursor is outside of ruler.

The Heads-up View Toolbar can include any of the View Options and has a Show/Hide Flyout that is like all the Datum Display icons in Pro/E combined into one.

View attachment 4392

Michael

Edited by: mjcole_ptc

james.lynch said:
well. I know SW marketing say that - but does it really improve eficiency for a real end user?

SW could have made that claim 3 years ago and still be more efficient than ProE (at least WF 2.0, I can't speak for 3.0 yet).

Pro E has the most inefficient user interface I have ever seen.

The SW user interface is just plain intuitive whereas the Pro E interface takes the approach that in order to find it, you must know where to look!

Michael

michaelpaul said:
the Pro E interface takes the approach that in order to find it, you must know where to look!

HA! Very well put! -

however...

it could be argued that with the power of mapkeys and the configureability of the ProE interface that you (once you know what you are doing) configure it to be perfect for you - not some usability guy, not some focus group

Having said that.. there is MUCH to be desired about the ProE interface - for example - they are still burying commands in menus off the dash board even though only the left hand third of the dash bord is in use.. or and this is a simple one, if rounding multiple edges, under references you can only see two of them at a time.. others include that it ALWAYS selects a solid feature as default when extruding and revolving - why? Also the right clict context menu - If i'm in extrude I have to right clck and select surface, then right click again and select define sketch - and is it me or is it actually a long left click?

Anyway..

James

I just love SW - but anyone who has read any of my posts knows that. I'm looking forward to installing SW 2k8! At my present full-time job, it's unlikely that WF4 will be installed for at least another year: too bad, as I have heard there are many enhancements in basic functionality. We also use Intra/Link 4.3, and I have heard that while WF4 may support it, this file management utility is going away.

If you love solidworks over Pro/E then you are nothing greater than the red neck that loves his john deer because its green over the caterpillar because its yellow.

I love PC's... I love Pro/e...

I actually love learning. I will say learning solidworks made me bitch a lot.

Edited by: design-engine

I can admit there have been some additions to the look and functionality of SW 2008 product, however they are starting down thepath of adding eye candy instead of real functionality in my opinion.

My big complaints about SW 2008

2008 and still no conic arc.

Can't "redefine" fillets after creation - you have to delete them and start over. Can you say child failure and no option to redefine.

Started a new project in ProE --- got all choked up, wept silently at my desk, and gave thanks.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back