Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

I feel stoopid.. need help!!!!

cmsbfent

Hey folks,

Basically, the place i work is moving over to pro engineer from solidworks, which means I've got a lot of re-learning to do.. which is where I hope you fine folks will come in ;)

I've got the basics down and I'm playing around with some of the rendering features which so far I'm very impressed with.. but there are a few things which I know will be simple, but I basically dont know..

First, when assembling components, if you click on the tick to indicate you have finished adding contraints, how do you then edit the contraints or add to them?

Secondly, I have created a radio consisting of a case, circuit board, speaker etc, and am now trying to change its appearence. Should it be a simple task to just select any surface within the entire asembly to change the appearence of just those surfaces. I tried adding some textures to the speaker component but was having trouble, so opened the speaker component on its own.

From here, I managed to create the look I wanted, but then when I reopened the assembly, the speaker had not updated its appearance. How do you update the components within an assembly to the latest versions you have worked on and saved?

Like I say, probably very easy questions, but go easy :)

Cheers

*oh yeah, sorry if its in the wrong forum

Edited by: cmsbfent

WF3.0 is different thanWF2.0... in WF3.0 under the Placement pull up for 'Edit Definition' there are two references for each of potentially three constraints for a part in an assembly. One reference is for the part (mate align) and the other reference is for the assembly for which you are referencing. It may be another part in the assembly.

By Change Appearance I suspect you refer to apply colors to your parts. Do that in the individual part so it updates in the assembly.

Edited by: design-engine

To edit the definition of a component select the component in the model tree and from the drop down menu at the top choose Edit>Definition or right mouse click>Edit Definition and follow design-engine's directions above.

Your assembly appearance is over riding your part appearance. Go to the assembly and clear the appearance settings for both the part & assembly and the appearance you created in the part will show up.

cheers for that, much appreciated.

Next little question.. there will be more to come i suspect..

When rendering a model within a room environment, and you wish to give the effect that the model is on the floor, what is your preffered way of giving the appearance that the model is sitting on the floor?

Is it just a case of using the available sliders to move the floor upto your model, and rotating around as needed or is there a way of selecting a face on your model, and 'mating' it to the floor level.

Last one for now
smiley2.gif
, as I mentioned before, I have made an assembly of a radio, and couldnt select faces to change appearences of the speaker component, so opened it seperately and changed it that way.

But then when I reopened the assembly, the speaker is still in its original state. How do I link, or should I say can I link, to the updated speaker part to save me having to re-add the speaker component to the assembly

thanks again

dr_gallup, completely missed your response.

Yeah, that works perfectly, thanks

Just the floor issue now then

Cheers

WF 4.0 has a selection that automatically snaps the floor to the bottom of your model. In previousreleases you have to manually move the floor and then save the room.
Edited by: mgnt8

There are educational links and pro engineer is used in most colleges in the area, where as solidworks is used in none.

Another question for anyone who may know.. how do I stop rendered curves looking 'choppy'. I've been through the options but cant seem to smoothen out the curves on my design??

I know in solidworks it was a numerical value relating to the nuber of lines making the curve

cheers

Try View>Display Settings>Model Display, select the Edge/Line tab and change the Edge Quality. This option is also controlled by the config.pro option edge_display_quality.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back