Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

I’ve come to the conclusion

phoxeoy said:
Can anybody tell me why is it that I can't have a Dimension that runs Veritcal? Why does every dimension have to be horizontal?
What about a Datum that attached to Thread information, to do that I have to edit the text and put in @[-a-@] yeah cause thats really associative! By doing that do you think my datum shows up when I want to create aGol tol, nope.

You can have vertical dims, play with the different options for "text_orientation in your .dtl file

I dont understand the problem with datums, see the screenshot. Datum A is attached to the dim of the minor dia of the thread (normally we only put the datum and dims to the major diameter, this is just to show its possible)

View attachment 731

This is a very interesting subject, I would agree from most of you guys that Pro/Detail in not so good in terms of detailing a design especially BOM table. It may be embarrasing to manufacturing department the way Pro/Detail represents the design. But in my case i find it not so bad at all or maybe I'm just lucky that we have a very good system programmers beacuse using Pro/toolkit they were able to make our detail drawing represented very well, We don't use BOM table rather we use Buhinran system, they add this system in Pro/Detail. As you can see from the figure, our programmers made a system to make our table easy to make and well represented,With just one command thetablewill automatically connect to our frame without specifying the location of the table, including notes,remarks,revision numbers.,plan record,drawing name,drawing no....etc...I Hope PTC could come up with this idea for all Pro/E users out there.

View attachment 732

I have some old government drawings that have Datums attached to the
thread note. Along with some Gol Tols off to the side of the Thread
notes. In order to get the Thread information in the way they have it I
have to put it in as a note with a leader and point it at the threaded
surface. I can't seem to attach the Datum to the Thread note like they
have it in the drawing. I end up just setting an axis and leaving it
there and change it in the drawing be editing the text with @[-A-@]. I
can attach a Datum to a Dim or leave it on the Datum or axis, why not a
note?View attachment 736

phoxeoy -

If you do a show/hide and show the default note that is there for a
tapped hole, you can then do an "edit value" on it with the right hand
mouse menu. (not "edit", but "edit value") Then you can
make that default note say whatever you want and still keep it
parametric with whatever parameter values you wish to leave
there. If you were to just "edit" it, you'd only see the
&note6 or something like that.

For my drawings, I typically delete the 2nd line in the default note.

I have been a Pro/E user and administrator since 1992 and agree with all the gripes. I have been able to deal with most of the problems with work-arounds, but that is BS to have to do. You do have to admit that the detailing has gotten much better than it was years ago. I just hope that the package gets the attention that it has needed forever.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back