Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to save as lower pdf version

fubing2008

Guys,

you know that wf3 drawing can save as pdf file, but only adobe acrobat V6 or higher can read it.

So my problem is that there have idea let me save as lower pdf version when i save as pdf file in wf 3 drawing(our adobe acrobat soft all is V5, and our mis not want to update it)

any advise, thx very much

You might be able to use Ghostscript or Acrobat Distiller rather than the PDF button in WF3. I've not tried it, but it's worth a shot.

I'm not aware of a Pro|E option to set the PDF version.

I ran into the same problem. I have a full version of Acrobat 5, which will not open the WF3 PDF files. There are two workarounds that I know of:

1. Use this forum to search for ghostscript,. The procedure is well laid out. I could not get ASCII PDF files to generate though. Basically this method uses a PLT file and converts it to a PDF file.

2. The second option if download a free program call PDF Fill (http://www.pdfill.com/). It is free. You need to merge or split a PDF file, but the resultant PDF file is readable by Acrobat 5.

Good luck,
Jim

thanks Dgs and Conrat

I want to know if there have proe config option to control the pdf version which i saved as.

I know of no config.pro option. I already looked. Maybe there is a hidden one, but I could not find any. I think there are only two PDF options but neither do a version change.

Jim

There used to be a config option that set the path to Distiller. I would think if you set it to your Acrobat 5.0 distiller, you'd get 5.0 PDFs.

Wildfire does not require a seat of Acrobat to do PDF files using the new button. We have three engineers who export PDF files using this button and none have Distiller installed. Also, my PDF files come out saying Adobe PDF library 6.1. I have Acrobat 5, so I know that my Distiller is not creating these files. I can only open them with Reader 6 or later.

If you have Reader 5, I see no reason not to upgrade to the latest release. However, if you have Acrobat 5, then I see your MIS's reasoning. Acrobat is not cheap. I would look for an alternative to Acrobat, such as the PDFFill program I mentioned above.

Of course if your company can afford it, upgrading Acrobat should be a no brainer. Or use Ghostscript, which will allow you to open them in Acrobat 5.

Jim

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back