Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to Rpresent a Spline

feltmounce

I am modeling a part with a male involute spline. Instead of actually modeling each tooth, I want to be able to show a representation of the spline on the drawing (similar to threads), and I will just call out the pitch diameter, addendum, dedendum, diametral pitch, and number of teeth. What is the right way to do this? My model shows a right circular cylinder with a diameter equal to the addendum of the spline. Should I just sketck two more circles representing the pitch diameter and dedendum, then dimension those on the drawing, or is there a more sophisticated way, like created a cosmetic feature?

Curve by equation is what I use and my equation is the formula for an involute. I create a curve for both sides then use edge for the sides and sketch an arc for either my OD (external spline)or ID (internal spline). Once you have one tooth, pattern it. In this example the curves are what I'm explaining, don't mind the root geometry. It can be whatever you need it to be.

I think there are some spur gear models in the download area that you could use as a guide.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back