Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to model revolved cut in Pro/E?

Here's another way that might fit your needs. Start with the VSS helical sweep like
before so you can control the length of the slot and amount of twist parametrically.
Next create some intersection curves on the outside and inside surface.
Start another VSS (material removal) using these as the guide curves.
Create a slot profile.
Make sure in the sketch you delete the Horizontal and Vertical constraints or the sketch won't twist as it sweeps.
Then add rounds to the corners and make them Full Rounds.

Here is a video of what I am describing above:

[url]http://screencastle.com/watch/83f01d1d2829bc3393bc4c17307508 2d[/url]

Here is a direct link to download the screen cast as a FLV video file. 8.9MB in size

http://media.skoffer.com/83f01d1d2829bc3393bc4c173075082d.fl v

Here are the second VSS settings:

Does this technique yield better results?

Screencast was made for FREE using http://screencastle.com/. No software install needed. Just Java =)

Edited by: jsantangelo

I couldn't tell from James video's what the final results of the cut were but the method was interesting. The rounded ends on kdem's model still show geometry problems near the rounded ends as he mentioned. Ryan's last model looked good so I recreated it using aVSS to just get the sweep in a different manner.The construction of the cut used his technique. Looks good but I show a very slight ~.00008 interferencebetween the cylindrical mill and the slot. I am not sure what is causing that, but that wouldn't be a problem in anything I do:)

I had more trouble just getting my first VSS surface to twist. If the sketch doesn't start at the origin point it either won't generate the surface or it doesn't twist. That is operator problem but not sure what I am doing wrong. I tried with a line length of 10 with the one end dimensioned 9 from the center point or the axis, either way didn't work. (Sorry for the hijack on that one)

2009-04-16_145419_barrel_cam.prt.zip

Bob

Another thing I triedto see which approach might be best is creating a pattern of points and axes along the curve and creating holes through the axes. I then created surface features using the VSS and surface offsets using the helical sweep. The offset surfaces seemed to give a surface more consistant with the surface being created with the holes.

2009-04-17_102858_project_example.zip

I also did something similar, here it is in WF5 format, at the time I projected a curve on the surface, then added an offset curve to control normal direction to the surface (maybe it is not necessary if VSS is set to normal though). What do you think? Is it a correct way to build it?

Paolo

2009-06-16_100203_test_slot.prt.zip

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back