Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

how to model a tubular wire mesh

hellomoto

modeling a flat sheet of wire mesh is easy to do, with patterns. What about a tubular mesh? What is the easiest method?

Maybe create a flat sheet, then deform the sheet... I've never used the deformed tool. this is probably the time to learn it :)

Thanks in advance.

solidworks 2010 and 2011

Edited by: hellomoto

hellomoto,

Here's 1 method that I just used to automate the creation of many curves, Unfortunately, it won't automate the creation of the solidgeometry itself. For that you'd need to perform a bazillion sweeps, so it may be pretty time consuming, but anyways...

Create your curved surface, and then draw your grid pattern on a plane that could project it onto the curve. You won't be able to projecta "sketch on surface" curve, because your sketch has multiple open loops, so instead, extrude your lines out as a single surface extrude feature. Now, open a new 3Dsketch, and select all of your extruded surfaces AND your curved surface, and select Tools>Sketch Tools>Intersect Curve. Now, all of your curves are created. Here's a snapshot of the process:

View attachment 5895View attachment 5896View attachment 5897View attachment 5898

For what I was doing this worked well, but if you have a large grid, the creation of the actual geometry is going to be quite time consuming. But, I was just working on this model, and thought this was a good place to share it anyways...

Jim Shaw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/shawengineering

Thanks for sharing Jim. After a while of fiddling around unsuccessfully with the deforming features, a light bulb turned on. I created two spiral sweeps (clockwise and counterclockwise), then patterned the two spirals with circular pattern command.
View attachment 5901View attachment 5902
the mesh pattern can be adjusted by changing the spiral and circular pattern.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back