Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to have hidden planes by default

ronfya

Hello there,

I have a concern about vizualisation of datum planes in big projects where you have hundreds of them.

Of course you can display planes or not and create layers of planes and hide or show them. But that means you decide which planes you will NOT show amongst hundreds. What I want to do is choose the only few planes I want to show amongst hundreds (meaning I want those hundreds hidden by default. Not displayed by default)

It would take me too much time creating layers with the planes of this project of which I'm not the originator. Too much parts and sub-assemblies to check.

Thanks

To hide planes at the creation of new model, you can alter the start part or assembly, hide it's datum planes and save the layer status. This way every newly created model will have hidden datum planes (by default).

The other option is to change layer properties and add all the datum planes with similar properties to the chosen layer. You can use Search function for that. Simply select layer to which you want to add datum planes, RMB, select Layer Properties. A window to include/exclude entities will open. Now, click the Search button and enter appropriate search criteria. Pro/E will select all matching entities and add them to the selected layer. Then you can just hide the previously defined layer and all the datum planes will be hidden.

I don't success in selecting all planes within an assembly and its sub-assemblies & parts. I think I don't use the search function very well.
How can I simply select ALL planes within an assembly and add them in a single new layer ?

Thanks

You
can try another trick. Edit your start part and redefine each datum
plane. While redefine, make them fix size and use a small size like
50mm or less. Then it will not make problem while you check a very big
assy. I am using it and no datum plane create problem for me while
showing all.

There's a setting in the config.pro. Do a search for default planes, and you'll see it in there...

Let me know how it works...

P.S. I hate using layers

But in config you can only on or off the planes. You cant hide it like hiding by layer.

ronfya said:
I don't success in selecting all planes within an assembly and its sub-assemblies & parts. I think I don't use the search function very well.
How can I simply select ALL planes within an assembly and add them in a single new layer ?

Thanks

Finally I found one simple answer to my question so here it is in case it can help someone else
smiley1.gif

http://www.productview.com/index-files4/tips/layer-1.html

This applies when the models you have to work with have been created by someone working by default without planes being put on a layer that you can hide.
Edited by: ronfya

What you also can use is the isolate command. It's icon is the eyeball in brackets. It tells Pro|E to show nothing except what's on that isolated layer.

Check the thread linked to by Sip for a lot of great info on layers, similar to that productview.com link but it'll tell you about isolate.

ronfya said:
Hello there,

It would take me too much time creating layers with the planes of this project of which I'm not the originator. Too much parts and sub-assemblies to check.

Thanks

Hi Ronfya, Hope you found what you needed in the "Mastering Layers" thread.

To summarize, It's takes VERY little time to add a "ALL_PLANES" layer to every every model in the current assembly.

1. In the top assembly creat the layer "ALL_PLANES"
  2. Add a rule to it such that all features, that are datum planes, are added to the layer automatically.
  3. In the layer tree highlight that layer and choose from the layer pulldown "EXTEND RULES"
  4. For those models that have the few planes you wish to see, create the layer "SELECTED_PLANES". Add the relevant datum plane features.
  5. Set all layers to HIDDEN, then change the SELECTED_PLANES layer to the status of ISOLATE. (that will be found in the top menu under VIEW/VISIBILITY)
  6. It's important that the items added to both the ALL_PLANES and the SELECTED_PLANES layers are all features and not geometry.
There is a lot more detail about layers, creating layers with rules, the importance of knowing exactly what the items are, that are being placed onto layers, and how basic rules of visibility interact with the layer status's to create the final visibility.

Unfortunately a some of the info is buried in dialogs that might not be recognizable as pertinent.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back