Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

how to display thread pitch in a drawing?

ronfya

Hello there,

I want to know if it is possibe to display a thread pitch in the dimension text in a drawing.
I checked if there was a dimension number for the pitch for me to use &d but I didn't found any. So I wonder if it is possible to have it display automatically ? The quality standard in my company requires it and I don't want to mess up with the pitches if I have to change the hole diameter in the future.

Thanks

I presume the actual threads are modeled. otherwise there would be nothing to dimension to. What you might do is create a UDF to create these threads. In the UDF you would create a feature such as a sketch that would contain dimensions to show on the drawing.

Good luck;

Ronfya,

I'm a bit confused as to what you are doing. Is the tapped hole you want to dimension a hole feature or is it a helical sweep featuew?

Kev

What I want to do is to display IN THE DRAWING M5 x 0,8 for example when I display a thread dimension. The pitch thread should be displayed even if the pitch is standard.

I could write the pitch thread manual within the dimension text note but I would like it to be displayed by &d or another automated parameter so that if I change the dimension of the thread to M8 in the 3D model for example, the dimension note on the drawing will be updated to M8 x 1,25. (or whatever the value I choosed in the 3D model)

I use the hole tool to create threads

Edited by: ronfya

Ronfya,

You could use Show/Erase to as below (will show the note that is part of the hole feature that you have created). Select by feature is probably easiest way to attach to the drawing

Kev

View attachment 3482
Edited by: prohammy

prohammy,

but showing note for threaded hole would show whole callout note of the thread (with the depth and other dimensions) with the attachment arrow and not as a dimension. Am I right?

I believe the question was how to show dimension (with Show/Erase) of the threaded hole with the pitch included. By default, Pro/E shows only nominal diameter of the thread - without the pitch - even if you have fine-pitch threaded hole, like M16x1. So you always have to add the pitch manually.

Why not showing the hole note? if it has depth then that is OK to show. Yeah maybe you show the depth in aother view as a dimension.

If you want you can even modify the note that PRO-E is adding for the threads. In model switch the selection from smart to annotation and double click the note, or right click on the note in model tree and properties and in the window that apears delete what you don't want to show. In that note you can show just thread and pitch. All parametric.

If you want to show the pitch in drawing write &pitch:fid_xx (replace xx with the hole feature ID)

skraba said:
prohammy,but showing note for threaded hole would show whole callout note of the thread (with the depth and other dimensions) with the attachment arrow and not as a dimension. Am I right?I believe the question was how to show dimension (with Show/Erase) of the threaded hole with the pitch included. By default, Pro/E shows only nominal diameter of the thread - without the pitch - even if you have fine-pitch threaded hole, like M16x1. So you always have to add the pitch manually.

I forgot a bit about this post, but as the question comes back to me again I notice that skraba is right about what I want.

I want to display the picth of a threaded hole or of a cosmetic feature within a dimension, not a note.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

There may be a workaround ... there is a parameter called threads_per_inch that can be displayed within dimensions with &threads_per_inch but how can I display a metric value for the pitch ?

If the hole note isnt ok try the scientific approach and use a relation

for a metric thread:
Thread diameter - Hole diameter = pitch

smiley2.gif

ankarl said:
If the hole note isnt ok try the scientific approach and use a relationfor a metric thread:Thread diameter - Hole diameter = pitch

smiley2.gif

This relation is only NEARLY true for standard values of metric pitches. What if I want fine pitches ?
Plus, I don't want to have to write a relation for each thread I have on my parts !! I would end up only doing this because I must find feature id before writing relation for one hole etc ...

Or, a workaround would be to write a relation directly in a dimension text value, but I don't know if it's possible to have only the result of a calculation displayed in a dimension (not each parameter value and the relation symbols)

Well OK, someone said if you search long enough, you'll find something... and I did.

For threaded holes, I finally found the parameter to display pitch in dimensions. It is &pitch:FID_## where ## is the feature ID.

But this doesn't seem to apply for cosmetic features (on a shaft for example), so for this, I create a custom parameter named METRIC_PITCH and give it a value, so it is embedded in the feature and I can display it in dimensions by typing &METRIC_PITCH:FID_##

I am quite satisfied with this
smiley1.gif
but one more thing though, as those numbers are real numbers, they are displayed for example as 1,500 so with two additional zeros at the end. How can I get rid of end zeros ?

I'm sure you can write the note as:

&METRIC_PITCH:FID_##[.1] to get 1 decimal place.

I also think you might be able to get it automatically by setting the drawing option:

lead_trail_zeros_scope all

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back