Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to delete the iteration in PDM Link?

dengs

Hi,

I have a problem with PDMlink check in function. I have a file "test.A.1" in the PDM server. After I checked in the updated file, it changed to "test.A.2". To change the version I revised "test.A.2" to "test.B.1". However, now I have "test.A.2" and "test.B.1" the same. Is it possible that I can delete "test.A.2" so that there won't be any repeat versions in the server?

Thanks!

"dengs" you can never remove the A version with minor than deleting the "B" version. Basic you have 2 choices:
1: Save a backup copy locally on disk. Delete the parts in PDMLink. Check it in again.
2: Make a C version. Use add to workspace with A. Open up "A" version in ProE. Checkout the metadata only. And from ProE check in the "A" part that is in session..

Good luck // Patrik

Unless of course it is a family table generic with instances in which case you're stuck with it FOREVER!

NO! test.A.2 is the released version of test at revision A. If using PDMLink 8 or higher, you can eventually purge test.b.1, once you have checked in a change ti the file.

Dengs, you can not delete an Iteration in Windchill. Only Versions.

Deleting the latest Iteration would be a very nice enhancement!

Dan10 said:
Dengs, you can not delete an Iteration in Windchill. Only Versions.

Deleting the latest Iteration would be a very nice enhancement!

I am pretty sure that I have read somewhere that this is possible in 9.0

We are on 8.0 and the way we do it here, is that we check out anold iteration and check it back in to make it the newest one. Hope you understand.
Edited by: khkh

looslib said:
In PdmLink 8+, you can purge old iterations.

Looslib - I am curious as to how? We have a lot of family table data in Intralink 8 and if it's anything with a family table then we're struggling. We can't even delete the latest version we've just checked in? Why not? It wants to delete all the relationships that file has with others.. Even a laest version should be able to be deleted, generic and all?

We now have a BIG problwm with Intralink 8 where some family tables are becoming corrupt (lost instances on saving) and the user is checking back in less instances unaware. We simply want to delete the latest version of the file but are unable to do so. We have to recreate the instances, renaming all the old instances that became deleted in the process.

Phil

One of the things I learned about family tables very early was to ALWAYS update the whole table. When you add a new instance, you have only added it to the latest iteration of the generic, but the rest of the table is still referenced by the older iteration. I know it doesn't sound right, but look at the save history for the dates of the generic and instances were saved.

I alwasy go to the generic and modify 1 value that is in the family tbale and regen the generic, Then I go back to the FT and verify all instances. After all instances have been verified, I then do my check in to PDMLink.

Why do that? You're just making work for yourself. The instances only need verifying once? It is not practical for us to verify our family tables every time. Some of our assemblies can take 8 minutes to open. Combine that with the fact the some of our family tables may have 20versions of this assembly and you're looking at extremely long waiting times.

Phil

pjw said:
looslib said:
In PdmLink 8+, you can purge old iterations.

Looslib - I am curious as to how? We have a lot of family table data in Intralink 8 and if it's anything with a family table then we're struggling. We can't even delete the latest version we've just checked in? Why not? It wants to delete all the relationships that file has with others.. Even a laest version should be able to be deleted, generic and all?

We now have a BIG problwm with Intralink 8 where some family tables are becoming corrupt (lost instances on saving) and the user is checking back in less instances unaware. We simply want to delete the latest version of the file but are unable to do so. We have to recreate the instances, renaming all the old instances that became deleted in the process.

Phil

I can't answer if it will work with your family tables but you will find 'Purge Manager' under Organization or Site tab - Utilities - System Administration.

Magnus

Why bother with the removal of the "tweener" iterations. Your entire organization should be concerned with the Latest Released of any version. And if your publishing anything, it should be As-Stored, Released to preserve document integrity when reproducinga static copy. Non-Released iterations are only design or In-Work relevant.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back