Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to create a line in btw a Radius

alvin164

Hi guys,

I was playing around with pro e WF2. i came across a part that requires me to create a parting line in between a radius so that the core and cavity meet half way on that radius. How can i create that line ? i tried creating a line and projecting it on that surface, but it didn't work. any suggestions? i ewas thinking about offseting the curve from line above orbelowthe radius, but i couldn't see the project or offset command (greyed out)..

thanks guys

any ideas are all these views??

is my question not clear to you guys or what?
imagive that you are looking at a semi- circle, and i want a line going in the middle of that semi-circle. However, that semi-circle is 3D (going X-Y and Z).

let me know if u guys have found a solution..

thanks

alvin164,

a picture is often helpful when you have questions unanswered. I would mention that all of us reply based on the desire to do so, or not. I understand that a software use situation makes a person anxious. However, sometimes the solution just needs some digging on your part, and the answer is not known by the readers, so we wait for your fix to learn as well. If you just want replies than you can always talk about SW vs pro-E
smiley1.gif
j/k

it seems you have something like this:
View attachment 3678
you want to make the parting line follow the natural division along the radius, and you are having problems getting a line into the part to show the split line?

it is possible to plot the draft as above and save as an analysis feature. Then you can make a line that follows the split line. This may not be the best method but its a start...

I made an offset datum plane, drew a spline to follow the draft plot on that plane, and then projected it onto the surface.
result:
View attachment 3679

later you can tweak the line to remove any undercuts that show up in the mold halves because the line was not perfect.

cheers,

M

magneplanar said:
alvin164,

a picture is often helpful when you have questions unanswered. I would mention that all of us reply based on the desire to do so, or not. I understand that a software use situation makes a person anxious. However, sometimes the solution just needs some digging on your part, and the answer is not known by the readers, so we wait for your fix to learn as well. If you just want replies than you can always talk about SW vs pro-E
smiley1.gif
j/k

it seems you have something like this:
View attachment 3680
you want to make the parting line follow the natural division along the radius, and you are having problems getting a line into the part to show the split line?

it is possible to plot the draft as above and save as an analysis feature. Then you can make a line that follows the split line. This may not be the best method but its a start...

I made an offset datum plane, drew a spline to follow the draft plot on that plane, and then projected it onto the surface.
result:
View attachment 3681

later you can tweak the line to remove any undercuts that show up in the mold halves because the line was not perfect.

cheers,

M

Hi magneplanar,

sorry for the misunderstanding..... my internet was slow today so i didn't get a chance to upload the picture until now...Below are two pictures of what i am trying to accomplish. The one with the red circle is the area where the radius is located. THe second picture is the zoom-in version of that area with the red line as the parting line that i want.

Thanks for the help guys....

View attachment 3682View attachment 3683

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back