Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to add tolerance for one dim only?

pellet8

Default tolerance in my drawings is set to X.XX +- 0.001. The dimensions are displayed in their nominal values only. However, there's one dimension I want to set the tolerance to 0.000 -0.001. Is there a way to display the tolerance for this dimension only? Thanks.

select the dimension/right click& properties and you get this window:

View attachment 2325

change the tolerance mode to Plus-Minus and write the values for upper and lower tolerance , OK and you'redone !

Quite simple, I'll say ! Isn't it?
Edited by: damiaptr

Thanks, damiaptr

The problem is if I turn tol_display to yes, it's going to show tolerence on every one of my dimensions. Is there a way to tell pro/e to show tolerence on the dimension I choose?

Now I found what the real question is. I was trying to set the dimension to display nominal values only. However, it seems the tol_mode nominal option in config.pro doesn't work well. The dimensions are all shown in limit mode. Am I missing something?

ok i had same problem and i get almost crazy while i try to solve it but... here we go

first what you have to do is that in PART modeling change config option
you must do it BEFORE any feature is made

TOOLS-->OPTION-->uncheck "show only options loaded from file" checkbox-->find "dimensions and tolerances" caterory-->there is "tol_mode"(make it "NOMINAL") and "tol_display"(make it "YES") (tol_display is not neccesary) and don't forget click add/change button

this is realy stupid but i think that in DRAWING mode should be tol_mode option too, but i didn't find it...

ok now you can make your model and save it...

next when you finished just go to DRAWING mode

FILE-->PROPERTIES-->DRAWING OPTIONS-->find "tol_display" change it to "YES"-->close all dialogs-->insert general view-->click on that view to make it active-->right click on it-->show dimensions-->right click on dimension which should be tolerated-->you should see dialog from previous post-->change all you want-->done

well this works for me all dimensions are in NOMINAL form except thatone which i changed...

Thanks Waltter.

I've finished the parts modeling and I've even created the 2-D drawings. Is there any chance I can take advantage this again? I tried your method. It still shows up with limit mode. When I go to part modeling and do an edit on one of the features, the dimension is shown in limit mode too. This makes modifying the dimension really difficult.

The trick is to get tol mode set BRFORE you make all features and dimensions!. The best you can do now is show all the dimension in the drawing (just do a show ALL). The change the selection filter to dimensions and window around all of them at once. RMB/properties and change them all to nominal. Do not change anything else like nominal value or number of decimal places or you will be screwed. Then change the one dimension you want to +/-.

Too bad I got to know there's such a file called configuration file after I've finished almost everything. Anyway, if I set the tol_display to no in the config.pro and set it to yes in the 2-D drawing, will it allow me to change individual tolerances?

I just tried, and it worked. In the part mode, the dimensions are shown as if the tolerancedisplay isoff, while in the drawing mode,they are shown in limit mode. At least I can easily change my dimension in part mode without dealing with the upper and lower limit now.

This makes me wonder why there're two places to set the tol_display option. I guess it will make tolerance option available in the part mode, but how often does one need to use tolerance in part mode?
Edited by: pellet8

thanx to dr_gallup

this is realy good way to do it without editing config file in part mode

easiest solution of realy hard problem...

I was having the same trouble about display tolerances in "Limits" mode and I had the model and drawing already created. What I did, after reading this posting, was to Set model options to tol_display = yes and tol_mode = norimal then drawing option to tol_display = yes. This showed the dimensions in limit mode but then I changed the selection mode, bottom right of drawing, to dimension, windowed all the dimension, then right clicked to selected properties and change all the dimensions to nominal at one time. Still alot of work seems that tol_mode on drawings is limited.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back