Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How many of you use Expert Machininst?

marker4x4

As per topic. I never really looked at it and I'm wondering if it's worth learning....

Pro's / contra's versus "traditional" ProMan?

Is there any good tutorial out there for Expert Mach.?

Thanks!!

Mark,

I looked at it some time ago. It has some better features than proman but it makes to many asumptions. The idea of ptc controlling more than they do now scares me. I am used to pro man but I will always feel that the people at ptc that built pro man never machined a part?

cncwhiz said:
...I will always feel that the people at ptc that built pro man never machined a part?

smiley17.gif
smiley17.gif
smiley17.gif
smiley17.gif
smiley17.gif
smiley17.gif
smiley17.gif
smiley17.gif
smiley17.gif
smiley17.gif
smiley17.gif
, good one!!

I have a pretty good tutorial for Expert Machinist. The zip file is 37MB........Send mea private messageme if your interested.

FireWild

Mark,

We have 6 seats Pro/NC, 5 seats NC_Sheetmetal, and one seat Expert Machinist. Other than during the training sessions, we haven't utilized the one seat we have (probably never). Expert Machinist was developed (to my knowledge) as an easy GUI to simplified machining operations. You are very limited (tweaking tool paths) in all of its functionality and you cannot change that sequence to Pro/NC (it has to be recreated). If I remember correctly, you can have a sequence created with Expert Machinist, change to Pro/NC and create another sequence with Pro/NC and vice vs. If you become familiar enough with Pro/NC, you will probably find yourself not using Expert Machinist at all.

Similar to what cncwhiz stated, it makes assumptions, assumptions that you can not change or tweak.

It operates fine for quick and easy machining ops, and like I said, I think that's what it was intended for.

Synopsis, for CAM, you can do anything in Pro/NC, you cannot in Expert Machinist.
Edited by: ncprog

PTC also has a set of tutorial pages for Expert Machinist on the tech support page. If memory serves, I believe there is a page for each type of sequence, as well as for setting up the model and operations.

One interesting use of EM is for easy setup of the MFG file. Things like workcell, operation, fixture, etc. are common to both Pro/NC and EM. The workpiece, however, is _very_ easy to create (as in it can be automatic - no sketching, etc.) in EM.

I also like the idea of the templates for quick placement of toolpaths. The templates are created in the Template manager (imagine that!) and are stored for quick application in other models.

I would agree though, that it is not suited for all tasks. That was never the intention. I think of it as another tool in the box, to be used when appropriate. It is always good to have options.
My $0.02-

-tsl

FireWild,

I would be interested as well. I currently use GibbsCAM, as most of my
incoming files are dxf, but, for my own projects, I would like to transition
to Expert Machinist and Pro/NC. I have the Complete NC bundle, so, I was
hoping that Expert Machinist would ease the transistion from Gibbs to
Pro/NC.

my email is:

[email protected]

Thanks in advance

tom