Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How can I create a smooth transiton

there are several ways to do this. start with variable fillet. if it doesn't suit your needs try boundary blend which is a bit more involving.
to start with the fillet, invoke fillet feature, click on that edge, right click hold on the graphics area, select make variable, add two different values for the top and bottom of the fillet.

Edited by: solidworm

Solidworm - radius is a good choice if you want a concave surface.

Spaggioli- I have made a file for you to review. It takes alittle more time and adds more features but it does what you want. Basically I intersected the part using a plane thru the top of the smaller cone. I then sketched a new curve using the intersect curves and adding a tangent line on each side. You would then need to do the same for the bottom of your cones. Boundry blend using the new curves. Cap them off and solidify.I am on WF4 so hope you can read it.

2009-09-02_084728_cone-blend.zip

Krow72

Krow72,

Thanks after some thought I was able to complete this issue usingboundry blend.

I could not open your file as I am only on 3.0 but It sounds like our solutions are close. Hereare the results.

Thanks,

Krow72 and solidworm

krow72 said:
Spaggioli- I have made a file for you to review. It takes alittle more time and adds more features but it does what you want.

You can slightly reduce the number of features if you use the "cross section" reference for the longer cone instead of intersecting (but then you can't use "use edge" while sketching), and you don't need to create a datum point for the vertex of the cone :)

Paolo

I've tried another funny method: trim the little point of the cones a bit (if you can), then do a large chamfer (~60 in solidworm model) between the cone surfaces (not on the edge), if the chamfer is large enough the white discontinuity lines along the cones disappear...

Paolo

Paolo - Thanks for the tip of cross section. I didn't even think of that. As for the point, I realized that I didn't need it after I created the boundry but was in a rush (since I was on the clock) and didn't delete it.

Krow72

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back