Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Help With Subordinate UDF

78finn

I need some help with being able to setup & edit a Subordinate UDF.

The aim:

1. Create a part containing a master sketch / extrusion profile.
2. Reference the master sketch / profile using a subordinate UDF.
3. Use the UDF in other parts.
4. Update the original master sketch / UDF and have all other parts update automatically.

I am really struggling to get this to work.

Currently I am creating a new part (Part A), with a 2D sketch of an extrusion profile. I then create a Subordinate UDF, selecting the sketch as the feature and a coordinate system / number of planes as my ref points.

I then create a new part (Part B) and import the UDF into the part. I select "Make features dependent on dimensions of UDF" and place the UDF into the new part.

I now go back to the original Part A (with part B still open) and adjust the extrusion profile (changing a few dimensions).

I go back to Part B, regenerate and nothing happens? The UDF in Part B does not update and reflect the change made to the master sketch profile in Part B?

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Your help would be very much appreciated!

OK, I sort of have it working now.

The trouble I am having is actually getting Part B (the slave) to update properly.

If I change a dimension in the Part A / UDF and then regen Part B, nothing happens.

Instead I have to change the dimension in the Part A / UDF, save & close. Then reopen Part A & B, regenerate the CAD and Part B updates to reflect the change in Part A / UDF.

Is everyone having this experience? It seems very clunky? :(

I'm running Creo 2.0

Sounds to me like something that would be better off with a Layout.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply!

I haven't worked with layout before. Can you quickly give me a run down on how I might go about doing what I have outlined using layout? It would be really helpful!

Thanks!

Well, it has been a while. The basics are that you create common geometry, parameters, dimension information, etc. in a layout. You designate the layout for a model and create references to the layout parameters and dimensions. You may be able to find some printed data online with more specifics. I think it's a great way to do what it sounds like you are trying to do. Family tables could be an option but sounds like parts may be too dis-similar. Another option may be Inheritance features. UDFs are best for creating similar features like center-drilled holes, common shapes like louvers, common feature groups that are used across parts, etc.

I could be not fully understanding what you are doing as well. But it sounds to me like you may be using the wrong tool for what you want to accomplish.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back