Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Help with repeat regions and tables

JohnDrydenJr

Hi, is there anyone that might be able to tell me if it is possible to create a join between repeat regions, nested or otherwise, in tables. What I need to imitate is the type of join that is common to relational databases. I'm trying to create a table that needs to draw information from two different parameter categories; dgm.sym and dgm.run. I can think of no other way to tie the information together. I'm not trying to subsume one category of information within another,which is the characteristic of nested repeat regions. I need to have the same information from joined fields in the same rows.(This isstrictly fordata manipulation withinPro Diagram.) Any thoughts on this at all would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

John,

It sounds like you are trying to get symbol parameters as well as
to/from information in the same table and on the same row. I believe
that dgm.sym will give a table based upon symbols only; no run
information. Dgm.run bases upon the wire and what is connected to it.

If I want a symbol parameter such as Manufacturer listed on a run table I
would use &dgm.run.to.conn.MANUFACTURER. Where MANUFACTURER is a
user defined parameter in the symbol.

If this doesn't help please show a sample of what you are looking for.

Thanks,

jef

Jef,

I've considered inserting user-defined parameters on the "run" side of things; but, the amount of parameters that I would have to add is fairly large. And, it seems to me that including so much manual data entry in several user-defined parameters wouldn't fall all that short of simply creating a table for manual input. In this case, I will have to add parameters in which I will have to enter data for each conductor in the diagram, andtwo of these parameters bascially will carry the node information from one symbol to the other. Since the node information is already intrinsic to the symbols relative to the conductor, being able to "join" the data from one parameter set to the other would be the way to go. But, it doesn't appear that Pro Diagram has this capacity, other than creating a set of relations that could imitate this. To this point, I haven't been able to develop a set of relations that can do this. In a relational database, I can have identical fields in two different tables, and join the tables using those identical fields. And then, I could produce the results that you describe above, data from both parameter sets in the same row, relative to the associated data in the joined fields. I originally thought, that I could achieve this, in some measure, with nested repeat regions; but, I was wrong. I need to imitate the table that the customer has developed in a competing software package, so I have little leeway to change the table to meet the data-manipulation limitations of Pro Diagram. I hope I have described this adequately to make it clear what I'm trying to produce. I may have to go with the user-defined parameters; but, at this point, I think I'd rather sheer sheep in extremely hot weather.

Thanks,

John

John,

A sample output datatable would be nice but...

ProDiagram is not supported anymore; have you tried RSD/CreoSchematics? Database, terminal tablesupdates are a lot easier once you get the hang of it. Using this with Cable and Harness I can pretty much give any output I need. In the long run this is currently supported and sometimes thesqueeky wheel gets greased if it is not in the CAD package.

Goos luck,

jef

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back