Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Help with relations-IsoGrid

zoso0019

Hello

I have been working on an IsoGrid system and have been trying to figure out if I can put relations into it so I could change a few parameters and be able to make an isogrid of any size. I couldn't find much on relations to see if this is even possible. If anyone could give me some tips that would be greatly appreciated.

I will attach a couple of pics of the isogrid

2009-05-02_155002_isogrid.zip

thanks

steve

You will have better luck if you utilize multiple features as opposed to creating the cut all in one feature. For example, draw out a curve feature in the x form from end to end.Then another curve feature that offsets from the first. Then a cut using edge to that.Its one of the techniques that I find advanced users get excited about because it's so simple and powerful plus no one really thinks to do it.

Ill try to dig up an example if my words don't make perfect sense. Its a simple technique but hard to describe in words.

Edited by: design-engine

Bart's right. You got to break that thing up. Try to keep your sketches as simple as possible.

Hint: Your part appears to be symmetric about two axis. Model 1/4" of it and mirror.

Since I don't know what the dimensions will be yet- I was trying to figure out if i could design one standard oneand be able to change a few parameters and be able to makethem ofdifferent sizes without too much work.

what I found was that say I wanted to change the thickness of the grid I would have to go in and change them all in that quadrantand it is very tedious and very easy to screw up. that design was made by making one forth of it and mirroring it four times. btw.

I don't have much experience with relations which is what i thought i could possibly do-but i couldn't quite figure it out. pattern i know a little bit more about but it seemed to me that it would be a tad more work.

thanks for all you advice I'll just keep plugging away
smiley18.gif

steve

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back